• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 redsoft

redsoft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I am experienced p4 user and most of this my experience happened in large companies having strong internal LAN. In such organizations the only problem connected to p4 was in situations when LAN is down. Perforce clients in this case are malfunctioning. My opinion is the client behavior may be more intellectual and it could overcome the temporary connection problem by caching last transactions locally.
Nowadays I started to develop some project and the developers are located physically remote from the p4 server. It means we should use the public internet for the p4 connections. For this purpose I have tried to install the Perforce Proxy. I was thinking that the main goal of the proxy is to support such remote developers. I thought thay may install the Perforce proxy on there site and in the case Perforce Proxy <-> Perforce Server connection is temporary down, it will sync in background. But I was surprised when in my tests I saw that the proxy is not operational when the p4 server is down.

So my question is simple: is there any tool or a technic to work when developers will have possibility to work remotely with p4 server which is not always on-line?

Thanks to all in advance.

#2 Tank

Tank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

A bit of an overkill, but Git-Fusion could be an option.

#3 mjanulewicz

mjanulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

If you have a reasonably new p4 server version, you can consider using sandboxes. Sandboxes basically roll a local server and detach you from the main server to do your work, then you can submit/reconcile it later. Sandboxes use streams on the back end so you'll have to upgrade your server to something fairly new to get this feature.
Matt Janulewicz
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: low, p4, proxy, remote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users