• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Caffeinebomb

Caffeinebomb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hi all, does anyone have any ideas as to why the majority of commands such as p4 admin, p4 logout, p4 verify etc would constantly return "Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or unset"  even when the server security level is set to 0 (no passwords?  Also, i tried using p4 login, but the password isn't accepted as valid for any of my users that I try.  These passwords are definitely correct though as I can successfully use them from P4Admin and P4V.

I followed the guide to moving the server, (http://answers.perfo...Perforce-Server), apparently successfully restored from my checkpoint data, can synch to/from it, access via P4Admin, but I can't run any of the important commands to verify it's successfully restored or more importantly to checkpoint it and run automated scheduled backups so I can start actually using the new server safely.

The server I've moved it from is actually still up and I can successfully carry out those commands on it, so I'm guessing I've done something wrong or screwed it up during the new install but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

Am I best just nuking it and migrating again?  All the data I need is technically on the server, so the slow part of copying etc is already done.

#2 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

If you have access to support I would definitely contact them about this. Nothing immediately springs to mind.

Security level 0 doesn't mean that no login is required, just that a user can optionally not configure a password and access Perforce. If they already have a password defined Perforce will expect them to use it.

It's particularly odd that the logins work from P4V but not p4; they use the same interface to the server. Can you use the passwords with the '-P' flag from the command line?

#3 Caffeinebomb

Caffeinebomb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think I have access to support as I'm on the 20 user version.

On the bright side I appear to have made everything start working again by installing P4V to my server and making sure there's a workspace for my admin account and can now successfully login at the command line :) .  I think that may have been the big difference between this and the old server which was originally setup with a local workspace for testing.  P4 Admin noob mistake :wacko: or just got lucky, but it's working now thankfully.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions.

#4 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

You do! Your response may take a little longer initially, but you do get access to support with the 20/20.

Installing P4V shouldn't have changed anything, but I'm happy it's working. Let me know if anything else pops up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: server move, login, command line

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users