8 replies to this topic

#1 officeit@obsmedical.com

officeit@obsmedical.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hi,

Does the p4ofc support streams?  If not, any way of making it do so?

When trying to use it with a stream based depot I get the following message:

"Client 'myclient' requires an application that can fully support streams."

Thanks

#2 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

There's not a way to get P4OFC to support streams, no. It requires a recompile to enable streams.

#3 marct22

marct22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:04 PM

uh, so how do we recompile to enable streams?  If we can't recompile, then can we get streams support sooner?  It seems like people do want this. I do!

#4 Robert Cowham

Robert Cowham

Advanced Member

• PCP
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

P4OFC has moved to a new location:

https://swarm.worksh...ftware-p4office

It links to release download:
https://swarm.worksh.../dist/P4OFC.exe

It supports streams. Let me know if that works for you.

Robert
Co-Author of "Learning Perforce SCM", PACKT Publishing, 25 September 2013, ISBN 9781849687645

"It's wonderful to see a new book about Perforce, especially one written by Robert Cowham and Neal Firth. No one can teach Perforce better than these seasoned subject matter experts"
  • Laura Wingerd, author of Practical Perforce, former VP of Product Technology at Perforce

#5 marct22

marct22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

it appears to work, but I'm having a separate issue. If I have P4V with different connections (say, one connection to an ip like 1.2.3.4:5678, and another to 8.7.6.5:4321).  The default one I typically use is the 1.2.3.4 server.  I, however, have p4v connected to 8.7.6.5 server.  I open a word doc in a stream depot.  It tries to connect to 1.2.3.4 which is the wrong server.  If 1.2.3.4 is unavailable (because 1.2.3.4 is accessible only at worksite, and I'm working from home), it keeps trying to connect to it, and I cannot change it in p4OFC.  I try to type in the P4OFC - Connecting... dialog box, but I can't.  I can only cancel operation.

If I open a dos prompt from this particular p4v setting (right-click on the file, and pick Open Command window from here and run p4 set), I do see P4PORT set to 8.7.6.5:4321.  Yet P4OFC doesnt seem to use that P4PORT, it wants to use the other, and I can't seem to change it.

is this a bug? if it is, when can it be fixed??  If not a bug but some special thing that I need to change so it uses the correct P4PORT, how do I do that?

#6 marct22

marct22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

oh, and back to the original topic.  I understand P4OFC moving to swarm (along with other stuff), but why does the perforce downloads still list/download only old stuff, with absolutely no information on where to find/get the new versions?

#7 Robert Cowham

Robert Cowham

Advanced Member

• PCP
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

P4OFC respects all the standard Perforce environment variables for communicating with p4d servers. The main ones people use are registry settings for the user setting P4PORT, P4USER, P4CLIENT etc.

These are all documented: http://www.perforce....ref/envars.html

If you run a cmd prompt from P4V it will set environment variables in the environment. These are visible if you run "set p4" (without quotes)

C:\work\rcowham.jam>set p4
P4CHARSET=none
P4CLIENT=rcowham.jam
P4PORT=perforce-server:1666
P4USER=rcowham

You might also run "p4 set" like this to show current values, including those in the registry:

C:\work\rcowham.jam>p4 set
P4CHARSET=none
P4CLIENT=rcowham.jam
P4CONFIG=p4config.txt (set) (config 'noconfig')
P4EDITOR=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\notepad.exe (set)
:

What I do when working with different servers is use P4CONFIG - as shown above. http://www.perforce....f/P4CONFIG.html

I then put a p4config.txt file in the root of my workspaces and set the appropriate variables in it, e.g.

C:\work\p4ofc> type p4config.txt
P4CLIENT=cowhamr.p4ofc
P4PORT=public.perforce.com:1666
P4USER=robert_cowham

C:\work\p4ofc>p4 set
P4CHARSET=none
P4CLIENT=cowhamr.p4ofc (config)
P4CONFIG=p4config.txt (set) (config 'c:\work\p4ofc\p4config.txt
P4EDITOR=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\notepad.exe (set)
P4MERGE=p4merge (set)
P4PORT=public.perforce.com:1666 (config)
P4USER=robert_cowham (config)
P4_public.perforce.com:1666_CHARSET=none (set)
So it is picking up the appropriate environment.

Any document in that client workspace that you edit in P4OFC will also pick up the appropriate values (because it carefully does a CD command into the directory of the document before running the commands to make sure that P4CONFIG values are picked up).

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
Robert
Co-Author of "Learning Perforce SCM", PACKT Publishing, 25 September 2013, ISBN 9781849687645

"It's wonderful to see a new book about Perforce, especially one written by Robert Cowham and Neal Firth. No one can teach Perforce better than these seasoned subject matter experts"
  • Laura Wingerd, author of Practical Perforce, former VP of Product Technology at Perforce

#8 Robert Cowham

Robert Cowham

Advanced Member

• PCP
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

View Postmarct22, on 21 January 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

oh, and back to the original topic.  I understand P4OFC moving to swarm (along with other stuff), but why does the perforce downloads still list/download only old stuff, with absolutely no information on where to find/get the new versions?
Valid point - I will prod people internally to get them to change things.

#9 marct22

marct22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

Ah, that works!  Thx!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stream, p4ofc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users