Strange message after checkpoint creation: MD5?

backup checkpoint message p4d md5 rotating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SSITech

SSITech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

I just created a checkpoint on our server (version 2012.2)

and I received a strange message after the checkpoint and I wondered if someone might explain it to me.

c:\Program Files\Perforce\Server>p4d -r "c:\Program Files\Perforce\Server" -jc
Checkpointing to checkpoint.70...
MD5 (checkpoint.70) = BAFD7FF43554C2A5BAA68B64D4C86F67
Rotating journal to journal.69...

I don't know what the MD5 is and that big string of digits, And do I have a checkpoint 70 and a journal 69?  Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

#2 P4JohnW

P4JohnW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostSSITech, on 18 June 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

I just created a checkpoint on our server (version 2012.2)

and I received a strange message after the checkpoint and I wondered if someone might explain it to me.

c:\Program Files\Perforce\Server>p4d -r "c:\Program Files\Perforce\Server" -jc
Checkpointing to checkpoint.70...
MD5 (checkpoint.70) = BAFD7FF43554C2A5BAA68B64D4C86F67
Rotating journal to journal.69...

I don't know what the MD5 is and that big string of digits, And do I have a checkpoint 70 and a journal 69?  Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

The MD5 is just a checksum that can be used to verify the file's integrity if you move it to another system.

And yes, if you create checkpoint.70, it is normal and expected that a journal.69 is created as well.

#3 SSITech

SSITech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Okay good, thanks, I just thought it was strange that the checkpoint and the journal were not the same numbers, I don't remember noticing that before.

Thanks for the quick verification!

#4 Robert Cowham

Robert Cowham

Advanced Member

• PCP
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostSSITech, on 18 June 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

Okay good, thanks, I just thought it was strange that the checkpoint and the journal were not the same numbers, I don't remember noticing that before.

Basically the journal is the log of all changes from the previous checkpoint. The numbering sequence becomes clear if you consider, how can I get back to the state of the repository as of Checkpoint.70?

You have options:

1. Restore checkpoint.70 (nothing else required)
2. Restore checkpoint.69 and journal.69 (= checkpoint.70)
3. Restore checkpoint.68, journal.68, journal.69
etc

If your database files become corrupt you restore the current journal (no suffix) on top of previous checkpoint.

Make sense?
Co-Author of "Learning Perforce SCM", PACKT Publishing, 25 September 2013, ISBN 9781849687645

"It's wonderful to see a new book about Perforce, especially one written by Robert Cowham and Neal Firth. No one can teach Perforce better than these seasoned subject matter experts"
  • Laura Wingerd, author of Practical Perforce, former VP of Product Technology at Perforce

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: backup, checkpoint, message, p4d, md5, rotating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users