p4v, p4vs don't accept unicode command line argument.

p4v p4vs P4COMMANDCHARSET

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gim

gim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

Client: 2012.2, 2013.1
Charset: cp949 with P4CHARSET=utf8-bom

On the application parses path followed by "//", I tested filetype with p4 -s fstat, then invoke p4v to view in visual client or p4vc to view text file in timelapse. The problem occurs with a depot path containing unicode like as

//depot/.../<some_unicode_path>

Obviously they seem accept neither any charset related options (-C, -q) nor charset related environment variable (P4COMMANDCHARSET) in p4v and p4vc. If you use Unicode path to invoke p4v -s in command line, it displays invalid character and diagnose the error message "P4V: The Following paths do not exist:". If you use same way in p4vc, it crashes.

For these reason, I recommend my team to use depot path in Latin character only. I wish next version of Perforce visual client supports Unicode command line arguments. There are many English-unfriendly crews in our project. (should be much more in the world.)

Thanks in advance.

#2 P4GabeW

P4GabeW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

What version of the p4vc client are you using? Earlier versions of it didn't support Unicode at all, but the latest version should work fine with Unicode paths.

#3 gim

gim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:07 AM

Revision of p4vc is NTX64/2013.2/661179
I just apply unicode path via console argument. p4v doesn't work and p4vc crashes again.

#4 P4GabeW

P4GabeW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

I would definitely send a ticket in to support and we can take a closer look at it. If I'm understanding correctly, this should work fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users