4 replies to this topic

#1 me.

me.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

I am evaluating Perforce and installed the Perforce Visual Studio Plugin.

Can anybody tell me where I in Visual Studio I can manage Perforce Jobs inside Visual Studio?

(Visual Studio 2010 or 2012)

#2 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Once P4VS is installed and you have connected to a Perforce depot via:

FILE -> Open Connection to a Perforce Depot...

the jobs tool window can be opened via:

VIEW -> Jobs

#3 me.

me.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the answer.

I have P4VS installed successfully on VS 2010 but can neither find "Jobs" under "View" nor "Open Connection" under "File" in Visual Studio.

Sorry, but how to access Jobs in P4V was not my question. I thought they are integrated into Visual Studio by the perforce Plugin (e.g. in the Tasks Window or a seperate window).

What I want is to add/modify/delete jobs within the Visual Studio IDE and - even more important to me - Work on a specific Job/Task by selecting them in that window.

So the workflow would be:

1. Load a solution
2. Select a Job (=> in the background a new changelist is created for that job, maybe a checkout comment window )
3. Work on the source files to fulfill the job
4. Select another Job ( => in the background the modified files/Job-changelist are checked in with the Job-ID stored, e.g. Display Checkin-Window for that Job) + see Step 2.

Timetracking would be possible this way too ...

If not integrated by the plugin, this would be an awsome feature to have on the changelist (or a mylyn like plugin).

Regards,
Thomas

#4 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Not immediately related to your questions, but important if you are opening solutions:

Confirm that your solution is not currently bound by P4SCC or another Source Control Provider other than P4VS. If this is a new solution with a new Perforce depot, this should not be an issue. Otherwise, please consult the P4SCC -> P4VS migration notes:

ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r13.3/doc/user/p4vs_p4scc_migration.txt

I have P4VS installed successfully on VS 2010 but can neither find "Jobs" under "View" nor "Open Connection" under "File" in Visual Studio.

If neither of those menu items are visible, then P4VS is not the active Source Control Provider. First check, TOOLS -> Extensions and Updates. Look for P4VS in that dialog, and highlight it to confirm that it is enabled. Once that has been confirmed, go to TOOLS -> Options -> Source Control and confirm that P4VS - Perforce Plugin for Visual Studio is the Current source control plug-in in the dropdown box there.

If you have confirmed the above and the menu items are still not visible, please contact support@perforce.com

Sorry, but how to access Jobs in P4V was not my question. I thought they are integrated into Visual Studio by the perforce Plugin (e.g. in the Tasks Window or a seperate window).

They are integrated into Visual Studio as a Tool window. This is accessible via View -> Jobs

What I want is to add/modify/delete jobs within the Visual Studio IDE and - even more important to me - Work on a specific Job/Task by selecting them in that window.

In the Jobs Tool Window you can add or modify jobs. P4VS does not currently support the deletion of jobs.

What do you mean by "work on a specific Job"? That workflow may be better achieved via the Pending Changelists Tool Window, where jobs can be attached to Pending Changes containing files related to the task.

So the workflow would be:

1. Load a solution
2. Select a Job (=> in the background a new changelist is created for that job, maybe a checkout comment window )
3. Work on the source files to fulfill the job
4. Select another Job ( => in the background the modified files/Job-changelist are checked in with the Job-ID stored, e.g. Display Checkin-Window for that Job) + see Step 2.

Similar to my comment above, this may be better achieved via the Pending Changelists Tool Window:

1. Load a solution
2. Create a new pending changelist in the Pending Changelists Tool Window, in the New Changelist dialog, add a job or jobs via the section at the bottom.
3. Work on the source files to fulfill the job, when prompted to check out the file select the pending changelist you created in step 2.

the step 4. you mention is not possible without some additional scripting or triggers. You would need to submit the changelist manually - but the job is a specification, not just an ID that will be attached to the submitted change via a fix record.

#5 me.

me.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hello P4Bill,

Thank's a lot for the further explanations!

Sorry for my misunderstandings.
Seemed my Visual Studio Settings have been corrupt. I reset Visual Studio to the defaults, created a new Solution and it worked, as described.

Great! I am happy now!
Perforce rocks.

Keep on the good work.

Regards,
Thomas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Visual Studio, Jobs, Defect Tracking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users