7 replies to this topic

#1 jesers

jesers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hi,

I'm using VisualStudio 2010 version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel with P4VS version 2013.3.72.1621. And I am getting some lock ups where the status bar says "P4 fstat -Olhp <path>", this locks VS for something like 20-30 minutes and I cannot even start P4V when this happens. I cannot see the end of the path because it is truncated.

The only two solutions I have found is to restart the machine, because just killing the process still prevents P4V from running normally, or just wait it out and being non productive in the meantime.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks

#2 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

We've seems a couple performance issues recently, but nothing that severe.

A couple quick questions:

How many files and projects are in your solution?
Are you using any other VS plugins like Resharper?

I'll also flag this for the P4VS developer so he can ask for information that he would find useful.

#3 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

There is a slightly newer version, 2013.3.72.7223, but I doubt that would change anything.

Something else to potentially look for is a Visual Studio or P4VS dialog that is not in the forefront. If you see more than one Visual Studio icon in the task tray, on could be the dialog that is not visible, but requires some action in order for the process to advance. Though if it eventually comes back on its own after 30 minutes, it does not sound like that is likely either.

#4 jesers

jesers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

@P4Matt: There are 12 projects in the solution with a total of 1297 files, distributed as follows between the projects: 204 73 86 181 67 107 258 89 86 3 106 37.

I am using Visual Assist X as the only other plugin in VS.

@p4bill: I have just installed the newer version (also updated Visual Assist which were a bit dated). I looked for dialogs, there were none.

So far it seems pretty regular, in that it has happened once a day. But only on my laptop which I use at home and VPN to work, I have not seen it when I am physically at the office.

While looking through the projects I did find 2 files with blue question marks on them indicating that they are not in Perforce, they have been deleted but not removed from the project, and since they are xml files VS won't try to compile them, so we haven't noticed them before. If updating plugins doesn't work I'll try to remove the 2 files and see if that has an effect.

#5 jesers

jesers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

Well, updating to the latest and removing references to missing files did nothing.

On the plus side, it seems like putting the computer to sleep and then waking it cause the request to timeout much quicker. This puts the turn around time at about 5 minutes, which is annoying (especially because it happens every day) but manageable.

#6 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

When you see the message "P4 fstat -Olhp <path>", are you seeing one path during the lock up, or multiple paths (as if it is doing fstats on all files)? I'm wondering if that is the case, the fstats should be able to be brought down from 1297 to 12, which would help over VPN. The setting to change this is in TOOLS -> Options -> Source Control -> Perforce - General -> [] Treat Solution/Projects as directories when selected.

#7 rabdullah

rabdullah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

I am having a similar issue whereby Visual Studio takes 2-3 minutes (I think sometimes more) to open a project if P4VS is enabled. This happened after I upgraded to the newest P4VS some few weeks ago. 4 other members in my team confirmed having the same problem. We actually had this problem in the past and it was fixed after some update, but apparently it started showing again.

#8 jesers

jesers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

I cannot see the end of the path shown by the "P4 fstat -Olhp <path>", it shows the first couple of directory names and is then truncated with "...", so it may be doing 1 file or 1200, can't really tell.

I'll try the "Treat Solution/Projects as directories" setting.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users