Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hi,

I'm using P4VS 2013.3.72.7223 with
Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013

Version 12.0.21005.1 REL

Microsoft .NET Framework

Version 4.5.50938

I've also installed P4V - 2013.2/679426

On a copy operation in P4VS the modified files are staying in pending changelist and does not getting automatically submitted.

I know that in P4V this is configurable and you can auto submit on copy (it is working fine on P4V).

I've enabled "Prompt for changelist when checking out or adding files).

I did not find any way to configure this in P4VS. in the P4VS video, it looks like copy do automatic submit.

Questions:

1. Is the behavior I've described - Copy do not auto-submit - is the expected behavior?

2. Is there a way to configure this?

#2 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

I do not believe we ever automatically submit in P4VS; I've check the documentation thoroughly. Even with the old SCC plugin we didn't automatically submit (as much as VS really wished we would have ).

There's currently no way to configure automatic submit on copied files. I'd be happy to file an enhancement request for you.

#3 yzaltz

yzaltz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'll appreciate if you do, Thanks.
In general there is very limited ability to set default behavior.
for example:

I so that in P4V on Preferences -> Behavior -> Merge-integrate, you can set the default to automatically resolved files after merging -> Automatic Resolve (Allow merging).
in VS I have no way to set this
       If I merge/integrate from the Stream tool view I have no way to set this (as in the copy)
       If I use the stream graph - for merge-integrate I get the P4V window that allows me to set it during the merge, but setting the defaults is not saved and next time I need to Merge/Iterate I need to choose the auto-merge again.

Is this a missing feature? for the Stream Graph option the fact that the defaults does not get saved (or taken from P4V) is a bug?

in the current flow the users have many steps to finish a merge, so I think it is important to handle it.

#4 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

I think it's fair to call that a missing feature. The stream functionality in P4VS is still fairly new and needs to evolve over time to match up with P4V. It's interesting that P4V does not remember the auto-merge selection. I'll play with it and see what makes sense. There are times where we do not store the default action because it could be potentially dangerous.

#5 yzaltz

yzaltz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hi Any update on the storage of the auto-merge selection from the Revision graph?

#6 yzaltz

yzaltz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

I've dug in some more and found that if you use the stream tool View
  If I merge/integrate from the Stream tool view the default that it goes to is Add files to Pending change list Do not automatically resolve files after merge.
What this means that for all of the files modified on the parent (probably most of which doesn't relay have conflict - they have changed on the source stream only), I need to resolve a non existing conflict - this make P4VS un-usable for Merge integrate action. passably the usage of P4VS. Together with the saving default problem, should I sugest my development teams to work disconnected from perforce inside Visual Studio and make all actions from P4V?

#7 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

It sounds like it the merge and copy experience may be better for you from P4V. P4V and P4VS can use the same workspace so your developers can do their day to day work from P4VS and then switch over to P4V to merge and copy changes. I'm also going to spend some time this morning with P4VS so I can try to better understand the issues you are having.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users