Journal Counter getting updated even if Checkpoint is not completed causing error in Replication server

Replica journal checkpoint Administration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vinodarokiya

vinodarokiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBangalore

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:38 AM

Hi,

We are using Perforce 2012.2 version.

Recently I had configured Perforce Replication.

Everyday I take a back up of Checkpoint on a remote Machine,using following command:

./p4d -J /mnt/Journal/journal  -jc -Z /mnt2/Backup/Backup0fCheckpoint/checkpoint

Note:Journal location is on a mounted Server on the Unix Platform.

But unfortunately since we had some problem in Remote machine where the backup of Checkpoint is taken,it failed to take backup for 2 to 3days.

When we noticed we made Remote Server up and running fine,Main server was working with no issues at all,as the Journal file was still in tact.(Note:But Journal counter was updated though Backup of checkpoint didnt take place)

But when we cross verified Replica Server which is a read-only server,we noticed it was trying to get a truncated Journal file (updated Journal Counter)but it was not able to do so as the Checkpoint was failed.

May I know how too fix such errors in Replication server and also I need to know whether Journal Counter gets updated everyday ??? even though backup of Checkpoint is failed.

Error in Replication:open for read: /mnt2/Backup/Backup0fCheckpoint/checkpoint.jnl.4704: No such file or directory

Thanks,
Vinod...
Thanks
V!nu...

#2 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

I would recommend upgrading to 2013.2. There have been a huge number of fixes to the replication engine since 2012.2. I haven't been able to track down the exact issue, but that sounds very familiar.

#3 vinodarokiya

vinodarokiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBangalore

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

Matt,

Just a small doubt,does the Journal counter gets updated everyday irrespective of Checkpoint is taken or not...
Thanks
V!nu...

#4 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

The journal counter is only updated when the journal is rotated as part of a checkpoint.

#5 vinodarokiya

vinodarokiya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBangalore

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

This means even if Checkpoint is not taken successfully due to some technical issues like Hardware/network problem still you have Journal Counter getting Updated???
Thanks
V!nu...

#6 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

There is a KB article on dealing with missing journal files. There are a number of reasons that a replica may fail to find journal from the central server.

http://answers.perfo...le-or-directory

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Replica, journal, checkpoint, Administration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users