5 replies to this topic

#1 SajasKK

SajasKK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:34 AM

I need to customize the Perforce server to achieve the following requirements:

1. I need a local replica server which gets synced with the main server in a differ3ent geographical location. I can have the same time zone settings for the local and main servers
2. The client should be able to commit to the replica server.
3. The replica server will have build capability as well as a test frame work that is run whenever a build is succesfull.
4. Once the build and test is succesfull the code should get committed to main server.

I know that the replica server provided by perforce is used as a readonly serverf which can't write to main server and the forwarding replica just forwards the commands to main server.

I can't use proxy server as the local server should work even when the main server is offline.

Is it possible to do this?

#2 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

It would take a bit of scripting but you could have your build server use a p4sandbox instance that is pointed at the main server. It would be able to sync code, commit locally when main was unavailable, and could push the results back to the main server whenever necessary.

#3 SajasKK

SajasKK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

View PostP4Matt, on 04 February 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

It would take a bit of scripting but you could have your build server use a p4sandbox instance that is pointed at the main server. It would be able to sync code, commit locally when main was unavailable, and could push the results back to the main server whenever necessary.

Thanks for the reply. I will try it out

#4 SajasKK

SajasKK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

I was able to have a Perforce Sandbox server between the user and the main server. But the user was created when I created when I was creating the Sandox Server itself. Is it possible to add more users for one sandbox server, so that each user can commit his piece of code and the sandbox can build the newly committed code before committing it to the main server?

#5 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:05 AM

You may want to look at setting up an edge server for your office; with edge servers every operation except submit goes against the edge server. In our testing we've seen that about 98% of all commands can be handled by the edge server. The relevant docs can be found here:

http://www.perforce....istributed.html

It wouldn't give you the staged commit that you're talking about, but I have the sense the replica behavior you were looking for was something of a workaround.

#6 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

Did you get any farther with this? I’d be happy to point you at some relevant documentation.

On Feb 5, 2014, at 12:10 AM, SajasKK <perforce-user-forum@forums.perforce.com> wrote:

Posted on behalf of forum user 'SajasKK'.

I was able to have a Perforce Sandbox server between the user and the main
server. But the user was created when I created when I was creating the Sandox
Server itself. Is it possible to add more users for one sandbox server, so that
each user can commit his piece of code and the sandbox can build the newly
committed code before committing it to the main server?

--
Please click here to see the post in its original format:
http://forums.perfor...d-perform-build

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: replica, proxy, build, replica that writes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users