• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

I see that the P4V Preferences for Double Click behavior for Pending Changelists has three options:
  • Submit pending changelist
  • View pending changelist
  • Edit pending changelist

Suppose I select "Submit pending changelist" (default).  If I shelve a file and then double click on the pending changelist in which the file is shelved, a P4V window appears with the prompt "Changelist <n> contains shelved files and cannot be submitted.  Do you want to delete the shelved files?" with Yes/No buttons.  I'm concerned that this could lead to unintentional deletion of shelved files.

Would it be possible to modify this window so that it has the prompt, "Changelist <n> contains shelved files and cannot be submitted.  Please first delete the shelved files and then submit."?  Instead of Yes/No buttons, the prompt could have an OK button.

#2 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:56 PM

Seems very reasonable. I'll file a request for the V team to review. They've been working on similar UX issues around shelved files for 14.2, so I could see this  slotting in nicely.

#3 Jayanth S Vasisht

Jayanth S Vasisht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

I believe, I already filed a similar SIR. We had a user who lost several changes when they tried to submit a pending changelist which had only shelved files.

Regards,
Jayanth
~~~~~

-----Original Message-----
From: perforce-user-bounces@perforce.com [mailto:perforce-user-bounces@perforce.com] On Behalf Of P4Matt
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2014 05:30
To: perforce-user@perforce.com
Subject: Re: [p4] Preferences Request for Pending Changelist Double Click

Posted on behalf of forum user 'P4Matt'.

Seems very reasonable. I'll file a request for the V team to review.
They've been working on similar UX issues around shelved files for 14.2, so I could see this  slotting in nicely.

--
Please click here to see the post in its original format:
  http://forums.perfor...st-double-click

#4 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

Jayanth, I believe that one has been addressed in the upcoming version of P4V. No ETA on the release right now.

#5 apeltonen

apeltonen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:25 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread... I recently noticed this behavior been changed and it creates a very annoying workflow when working with Swarm reviews.

1. Request Swarm review (always creates a shelve)
2. Review completed, want to submit (we always submit normally through P4V, not through Swarm)
3. Need to manually delete shelved files before submit is possible. Previously you could click "yes" to delete shelved files, so it was not an issue.

Is it possible to add a user preference for this? Something like "Prompt to delete shelved files when trying to submit"? The user setting could be disabled by default.

#6 P4Reg

P4Reg

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

Hi

The option to delete shelved files if you tried to submit a changelist containing shelved files was deliberately removed in P4V 2015.2 as the result of an enhancement request. It was removed to prevent accidental deletion of work as it was felt potentially losing work was much worse than the inconvenience of manually deleting shelved files.

There is an open enhancement request to re-implement something similar as a preference which is up for being revisited (I can't say if it will be implemented or not, just hat it is open and being actively considered)

#7 apeltonen

apeltonen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the quick response and for considering this. I understand what you wanted to achieve by removing the feature. When using Swarm for code reviews, the shelved files are usually identical to local files, so possibility of losing work is not an issue in our workflow.

#8 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

Now that we have submit -e, it'd be pretty cool if the submit command could do a diff between the shelved files and open files and then submit the files directly from the shelf on the server (reverting the local files) if identical.  That'd solve the problem of accidentally losing work, streamline this common workflow, and it'd potentially make the submit a lot faster since the files have already been uploaded...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Preferences, Shelving, pending changelist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users