Bruce Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSeattle Area

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

Hello,

I have a 2014.2 Swarm server that is pointed at a 2012.1 linux based test server. We setup this server by restoring a checkpoint and copying the versioned files to it.

We have used this setup to gain understanding of swarn and are ready to point this server at our live server (same version as test server). I plan to use the setup instructions in the swarm docs as a guide for reconfiguring it to work with the live server.

I understand that swarm keeps its working data in the perforce server. Is there server specific information retained on the swarm server that I should clear out?

Any other gotchas I haven't thought of?

Thanks,

Bruce M

#2 P4Geoff

P4Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

Bruce,

Happy to hear your demo went well.

Swarm will likely move just fine to a new server by simply editing the config.php to point at the new p4d and getting the appropriate swarm triggers installed on the new p4d instance.

If you want to play it conservatively though; you could delete the contents of <swarm>/data/* (perhaps keeping config.php as a template though).
So long as the data directory is still writable by the web server this will nuke all outdated caches and whatnot cleaning things up a bit.

If you nuke the data directory swarm will generate a new trigger token. You'll need to ensure the triggers on the new p4d use this token.

If you don't nuke the data directory, the trigger token will not change. This is a bit of a risk as the old test p4d could fire triggers and cause data oddities to occur. You'll want to thoroughly ensure you nock the triggers out of the old p4d instance in this case to avoid issues.

If you have any trouble of course please do let us know. If you have feedback on swarm we'd love to hear that too!

-Geoff

#3 Bruce Mc

Bruce Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSeattle Area

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

Thanks Geoff,

I had planned on updating config.php but had not considered the other stuff in the <swarm>/data directory.

I ended up moving the data directory to old_data and creating a new data directory. I copied the old config.php over to the new directory, editted it for the different p4d server, created the top level directories in the new data directory, and reset perms to match the old_data directory.

I added the swarm triggers to the new p4d server and editted the trigger script config file for the new server and its newly generated trigger token.

It all went very smoothly.

Bruce M

#4 P4Geoff

P4Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Excellent.

If you have similar needs in the future, so long as the data directory has the correct permissions you needn't bother creating the sub-folders.
Swarm will make them automatically.

That said; so long as the permissions are correct its fine to make em yourself too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swarm, repoint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users