Visual Studio 2013 temporarily work uncontrolled with P4?

perforce visual studio 2013 p4vs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 balintn

balintn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

I've been using P4 with Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010 for a long time.
I recently switched to VStudio 2013 plus P4VS.
When I work disconnected from the P4 server, after the failed connection attempt VS starts as if my solution was not under source control.
Previously, in this case VS asked what I wanted to do (Work Temporarily Uncontrolled, Change SC Binding, Permanently Remove SC Bindings).
Can I restore that behavior?

(I know that this is much more a VStudio question, but I think this is the place where I could get an answer...)

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hi balintn,

P4VS does not have bindings to projects or solutions the way that P4SCC did, so options 2 and 3 (Change SC Binding, Permanently Remove SC Bindings) do not really apply (there are no bindings to change or remove).

Option 1 (Work Temporarily Uncontrolled), unfortunately is not available. However, there are two P4VS existing enhancement requests to:

- Support "offline" mode
  - Add ability to reconcile offline work within P4VS

I can gladly add you to both or either of those, if you would like.

Currently, if you attempt to edit a file while the connection is gone, you can but when you attempt to save you will be informed that it is read only. The only option is to save as another name, which is not good. The only current workaround would be to check out everything you might be working on prior to going offline. Not ideal, but that is all we have currently.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: perforce, visual studio 2013, p4vs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users