• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kumputer

Kumputer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Quite simply, I open Visual Studio 2012, go to FILE -> Open Connection to a Perforce Depot. This results in a permanent hang as if there is a modal dialog box open somewhere off screen that I cannot get to, though I see nothing in the task bar to indicate that. Consequently I am forced to terminate the devenv.exe process. However, FILE -> Open Solution / Project does open a dialog box also completely outside of my screen space, but I can see this in the task bar, so I can use the right click move, arrow key trick to get the window back on the screen. I cannot use the P4VS at all at this time due to this issue.

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:50 AM

Hi Kumputer,

In order to better troubleshoot this issue, please confirm the following:

1) Have you changed your monitor configuration lately? (esp. on a laptop) Please check and confirm if your screen layout in the "screen resolution" panel of the control panel (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution) matches the monitors currently attached and powered on.

2) What is the exact version of P4VS that you are using. For example, in Visual Studio go to::

Tools -> Extension Manager.

3) What is the exact version of Visual Studio you are using? In Visual Studio go to:

Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio

4) What version of Windows are you using?

The login dialog always opens up where it was last placed by the user, so if it is showing up off screen, it is likely that the monitor configuration changed and it is showing up on a turned off monitor. The code guarantees that the dialogs are displayed within the X,Y extents as reported by Windows, but if they have turned off a monitor or disconnected from one (i.e. undocked a laptop connected to an external monitor), it still reports the extended area and it may be displaying on the now non-existent monitor.

There is another trick to move the window if it is showing up off screen because Windows is reporting the wrong screen geometry, if you click on
Visual Studio and hit alt-space followed by 'm' and then an arrow key, the window will stick to the cursor and they can move it anywhere with the mouse.

#3 Kumputer

Kumputer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Actually that alt-space trick worked perfectly. Thanks! That said:

I have between 2-3 monitors on any given day. That config changes frequently as I switch one monitor using a hardware switcher to a different device, causing my video driver to automatically reconfigure the screens each time I switch, but there are never any dead screens. I was already pretty sure that contributes to the problem, but I'm certainly not doing anything crazy.

P4VS  version 2014.85.4506

MS Visual Studio Professional 2012, Version 11.0.61030.00 Update 4

Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1

#4 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

You're welcome - glad it worked!  :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4VS, crash, hang, freeze, Open Connection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users