#1 Tunga Mavengere.

Tunga Mavengere.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi,

I've noticed on the downloads page that P4Report was last updated on the 2008.2/179173 release. Does this mean P4Reports is no longer being developed by Perforce, with the advent of P4Insights this might make a bit of sense?

Because P4SQL was bundled together with P4Report does this mean there are no new releases of P4SQL since 2008 either?

I have a few questions and please correct me if I am wrong here,

My understanding is that P4Report(P4SQL) work by directly querying the Perforce database and that P4Insights is different because it only produces reports based on Perforce metadata?

Even though P4Insights is customisable, P4SQL would allow you to produce reports that cover a wider range of data sets as P4Insights is limited to motinoring specific sets of Perforce data?

My final question is that there is still a lot of data we can only get from Perforce log files that we cannot get from the Perforce database right?

Thanks,

Tunga.
Software Engineer @ NVIDIA.

#2 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 1383 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

There are currently no plans to update P4Report or P4SQL.

If you want to do activity analysis then you will want to look at parsing the Perforce logs, but otherwise the database should any data you need. What are you looking to do? I may be able to point you in the right direction for getting the data you need.

#3 Priya

Priya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

Can you please share the executable for P4Report or a location where I can download this from?

#4 Tunga Mavengere.

Tunga Mavengere.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

View PostTunga Mavengere., on 25 August 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Hi,

I've noticed on the downloads page that P4Report was last updated on the 2008.2/179173 release. Does this mean P4Reports is no longer being developed by Perforce, with the advent of P4Insights this might make a bit of sense?

Because P4SQL was bundled together with P4Report does this mean there are no new releases of P4SQL since 2008 either?

I have a few questions and please correct me if I am wrong here,

My understanding is that P4Report(P4SQL) work by directly querying the Perforce database and that P4Insights is different because it only produces reports based on Perforce metadata?

Even though P4Insights is customisable, P4SQL would allow you to produce reports that cover a wider range of data sets as P4Insights is limited to motinoring specific sets of Perforce data?

My final question is that there is still a lot of data we can only get from Perforce log files that we cannot get from the Perforce database right?

Thanks,

Tunga.

Just read this post again and this statement was totally bogus, "My understanding is that P4Report(P4SQL) work by directly querying the Perforce database and that P4Insights is different because it only produces reports based on Perforce metadata?".
Software Engineer @ NVIDIA.

#5 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, as I recall P4Report ingests the main server log.

Since the time P4SQL was popular, structured logs have come into the world and are much easier to parse with something like Splunk or Graylog. Or even just 'grep'. The commands log is especially useful to see hop people actually use Perforce, client versions, etc., stuff that's definitely not in the database.
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#6 itechnology

itechnology

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationToulouse, France

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

Really a shame for P4SQL

I just started taking over Perforce administration at the company i'm at (220 pf users), and alot of tooling has been written to automate many tasks.

And many of these tools make masive use of P4sql to return data which seems prettty hard (or impossible) to get via p4/p4com/p4api.....

I've also searched for source-code on P4sql but had no chance finding any ..if anyone know where/if it may be hiding: information would be welcome ..and if not "Perforce": please put it on Swarm ! :-)

Thanks !

#7 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

Try our p4todb utility "Perforce Integration with SQL Databases"
https://www.perforce...n-sql-databases
Hope this works for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users