• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ratman9000

Ratman9000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:04 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows what the rules are for which file is shown on the left pane vs the right pane in the P4Merge tool.  "Sometimes", but not always reproducible, performing a diff shows me the newer file revision on the left pane and the older one on the right.  My expectation, and what I usually see, is the older revision is on the left and the newer revision is on the right.

For example, when a folder is selected in my workspace tab, on the History tab I chose a submitted changelist that has one file.  I used Ctrl+D to diff against the previous revision.  The diff came up with the newer file on the left pane (see attached screenshot).  I closed the Merge tool, opened the changelist details, selected the file, opened the File History dialog from the context menu, and used Ctrl+D again to diff previous revision.  This time the older file revision was shown on the left as I would expect.  After closing P4Merge and the File History dialog, I tried Ctrl+D on the changelist in the History tab again, and this time P4Merge showed me the older file on the left as I would expect.  This was different behavior than the very first time I tried Ctrl+D on that changelist.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is this known behavior that in some cases the newer file revision gets shown in the left pane?  My version of P4Merge/P4V is 2014.1/827578

P4MergeDiff.JPG

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hi,

Thanks for sending the print screen and your P4V version.

When I tested with P4V 2014.1/888424, I keep getting the latest revision on the right hand side. Let me research the expected behavior.

Also, let me know if using the latest 2014 build of P4V/P4 Merge makes a difference.

#3 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:03 AM

Hi,

I did some research for you and spoke with a developer to find out about the behavior of which side the revisions appear on within the P4 Merge diff panes.  Normally we put the older file on the left and the newer file on the right, except when doing a file diff from Folder Diff, where left/right relationships are already established.  However, we do have some existing enhancement requests to request control over this behavior.  Would you like to be added to any of these enhancement requests?

Hope this information has been helpful.

#4 Ratman9000

Ratman9000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

Hello,

Thank you for spending time trying to reproduce the problem and for speaking with a developer.  Like I mentioned, it almost always does what I expect and I only run across this or have heard from someone else that they saw it every once in a while.  I have not yet had a clearly reproducible case.  I mainly just wanted to find out if there was a particular workflow that intentionally puts the newer revision on the left.

Sure, you can add me on the enhancement request.  Is that to allow the user to configure which revision they want to see on which side?

#5 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hi,

You're welcome. You have been added to the existing enhancement request for a P4V-Merge switch/option to be able to display first diff file on the left or on the right side.

Have a great week!

#6 Ratman9000

Ratman9000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

Just to follow up on this with a little detail.  After this occurred again at one point, we used Process Explorer to look at the command line arguments that P4Merge was started with.  As you can see below, the command line arguments when the process was launched were to show revision 4 on the left and revision 3 on the right.  So it does appear that the behavior is being caused by the caller of the process, which I assume would be P4V.

Command line: "C:\Program Files\Perforce\p4merge.exe" -nl //CygNet/Main/CygNet/Source/Support/FmsInterface/FmsTokens.h#4 -nr //CygNet/Main/CygNet/Source/Support/FmsInterface/FmsTokens.h#3 -ct compare-parent-child C:\Users\MIKE~1.WIN\AppData\Local\Temp\p4v\mwinterbergdev_sloperforce01_1667\CygNet\Main\CygNet\Source\Support\FmsInterface\FmsTokens#4.h C:\Users\MIKE~1.WIN\AppData\Local\Temp\p4v\mwinterbergdev_sloperforce01_1667\CygNet\Main\CygNet\Source\Support\FmsInterface\FmsTokens#3.h

#7 Matt Dillard

Matt Dillard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

I see this consistently when using P4V to diff a stream against its parent.

To repro:
1. From the Streams tab on P4V, right-click on a development stream (parented by a mainline stream)
2. Click "Diff against Parent"

Expected behavior: Folder Diff pops up with the "mainline" files on the left and the "development" files on the right
Actual behavior: Folder Diff pops up with the "mainline" files on the right and the "development" files on the left

#8 davecotter

davecotter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

this is now happening to me every time.  it is quite frustrating.  i expect the newer file on the right, but it is now on the left and there is no "preference" to set to back.

is there some secret sauce i'm missing here?

i'm on mac, i have rev 2014.3 / 1007540, when i ask it says it's up to date.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4Merge, diff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users