P4VS: Implementing basic development workflow without storing .sln/.vcproj files in Perforce

p4vs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory Giguashvili

Gregory Giguashvili

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:28 PM

Our solutions/projects are auto-generated from makefile templates and build rules on Linux and Windows (a custom system similar to CMake). We're trying to make use of the latest P4VS plugin and we've discovered that it's not trivial to make it work when .sln is not checked into Perforce. Basically, one cannot import directories from a depot because P4VS only allows to select .sln in depot view via "Open Solution/Project in Perforce depot…” menu option.

I'm looking for some way to work around this problem without using P4V or Eclipse on Windows. For example, I was thinking to check-in dummy .sln files into Perforce so that P4VS allows to select and import directories from depot. If a VS plugin is developed so that it intercepts the import operation, the solution could be automatically re-generated on the file system before it's loaded by VS.

I would appreciate any ideas on this subject, including some sample code for VS plugin that intercepts P4VS operations.

Thanks in advance,
Giga
P.S. We already have P4Eclipse working in this manner for years. Simple Java Eclipse plugin does the Eclipse project setup magic. However, P4Eclipse does allow for selection of a directory in depots...

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:42 PM

Hi Gregory,

Let me speak to our P4VS development team to get some feedback on what you said. What version of Visual Studio are you using, by the way?

#3 Gregory Giguashvili

Gregory Giguashvili

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:05 AM

We are using vs2010 and moving to vs2012 so I am working with both. I have a support case open on this matter but it seems that we have run out of ideas.

Thanks for looking into this.

#4 Gregory Giguashvili

Gregory Giguashvili

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:58 AM

Any news?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users