• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GodfatherofSoul

GodfatherofSoul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:05 PM

I'm revisiting streams research and noticed that some of my old notes illustrate a development baseline stream that descends from the mainline stream.  All development projects descend from this baseline.  But, I haven't been able to find any references to this idea anywhere else.  Just wondering if this is just my old misinterpretation of the term "development mainline" or if there's any value to having a development baseline stream for all development stream separate from mainline.

It seems repetitive.

Attached Thumbnails

• development-mainline-graphic.png

#2 p4laurette

p4laurette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:55 AM

Hi GodfaterofSoul,

In main or trunk development, main should always be moving forward toward a release and should be maintained buildable and stable at all times.  The reason to drop off a dev line from it would be if a change or set of changes might destabilize while underway.  So, a dev line is branched off of main, the work is done and when it's ready it's copied up into main.  However, I've not heard of using a "development mainline" either but perhaps it could be just a way to manage this process.  The important thing is that main is always buildable and stable.

Hope this helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: development, stream, baseline, mainline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users