mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hi,

Can perforce superusers shelve checked-out files for other users through impersonation on the P4 command line?
(I don't think it's possible because I can't seem to find any documentation about it)

Thanks,

-Jonathan Wilson

#2 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

If you're a superuser and you have access to the workspace where those files are checked out you could. You can't remotely run the shelf operation to shelve the files for them.

What are you looking to do? There might be something we can do to help.

#3 mister_wilson

mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

What I am trying to do is have multiple build machines add/append compiled files to a shelved changelist (the same shelved changelist if possible <- hence the question :)).
Then after all the build machines are finished with their compilation and shelving, a final machine would "submit" the shelved changelist directly.

The goal is to avoid having to push files into different shelved changelists and have my submitter machine unshelve all files and submit them. I was hoping that it would go much faster to have my submitter machine just submit the shelved changelist immediately.

>> Let me know if my explanation doesn't make any sense.

Thanks,

-JW

#4 Domenic

Domenic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

View Postmister_wilson, on 03 December 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

What I am trying to do is have multiple build machines add/append compiled files to a shelved changelist (the same shelved changelist if possible <- hence the question :)).
Then after all the build machines are finished with their compilation and shelving, a final machine would "submit" the shelved changelist directly.

Heh.. we've talked about doing something similar as well so that the "submit" just effectively becomes a metadata transaction and we don't need to do the file transfer. I think in the end we decided against it because of the coordination we'd need to add between the machines. If I recall, updating a shelve is an atomic operation so we'd need each machine to queue / wait its turn. For now we're just sticking with our old method of every machine copies up to a network share then a single machine copies everything down and submits it. I believe there were 1-2 other hurdles but would need to dig up the investigation we'd done..

Anyhow, if this operation would all be done via your build machines are they all running as the same user? If so, then I don't think you'd need to involve a super user..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Admin, Shelving, P4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users