• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 humjack

humjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

I've been using the Perforce plugin for my Windows C/C++ Eclipse IDE for quite a while. The client resides on a remote server workspace. Generally everything works well.

One issue I've learned to live with, however, is an extremely slow sync/update process.

It is much, much faster for me to just ssh into our Linux server and directly issue "p4 sync" from there. Via Eclipse, "synchronizing" the project is fast enough, but the follow-up "update" command (the actual pulling in of changes) nearly hangs. The update eventually completes if I wait it out a couple minutes.

On a side note, after completing the update the Synchronization View still shows the list of the incoming changed files as though the update didn't occur. Overall this makes me believe there is something wrong with the way P4Eclipse is handling my client.

Again, I've learned to live with this. However, I recently helped a co-worker setup the Perforce Eclipse plugin on her Linux machine. Her project is mapped to a remote mounted client, just as mine is on Windows.

I couldn't help but notice her sync/update process finished very quickly. As it ought to.

If anyone has any theories or suggestions please let me know as I would really like to fix whatever's going on with my Perforce plugin and/or client. Thanks!

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hi,

To better troubleshoot this issue, please let us know the following:

a ] What version of the P4Eclipse plugin are you using?

b ] What version of Eclipse are you using?  Select "Help -> About Eclipse SDK" to get the Eclipse version string.

c ] Has Eclipse or P4Eclipse been upgraded or re-installed recently?

d] How is the performance for other programs on the remote workspace?

We do not have enough information to know for sure yet, but I suspect it could be due to the remote connection along with something related to the Windows operating system.

REFERENCES

http://answers.perfo...Windows-Clients

http://answers.perfo...etwork-Problems

#3 OrangeDog

OrangeDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

Is there an antivirus on Windows, intercepting network or file I/O?
McAfee, for example, will cripple all source control systems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eclipse, p4eclipse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users