Feature request: diff binary files (as an option)

diff binary swarm

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dekarguy

dekarguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

We have a number of files in our perforce depot marked as binary (.sh, .vcxproj, etc) that occasionally end up on a swarm review.

It would be really great to click a button and at least attempt to diff the 2 files, maybe have a file size limit so you don't get the accidental diffs of very large actually binary files. It could also be a config option somewhere to add diff-able binary types.

#2 P4Nellie

P4Nellie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hi - Thank you for the request. I've added your enhancement request to our list.

#3 dekarguy

dekarguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

Has any progress been made on this? We have a good number of .sh scripts that get changed any any reviews of them since they are marked as executable and for these files, reviewing in swarm is pointless currently

#4 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hello,

Thanks for checking up on the enhancement request. It currently is still open but has not been implemented. The more customers' names that are added to a feature the more likely it is to be done sooner. If this feature is something highly desired, you should post your idea on http://www.p4ideax.com so other users can also vote on it and it will receive more visibility.

#5 dekarguy

dekarguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

Alrighty, idea added @ http://www.p4ideax.c...ff-binary-files

#6 haiderm

haiderm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

Why do you have scripts marked as binary?
Perforce has a base type, which can be text/binary/etc., and there is a separate file type option +x for "Exec bit set in workspace".
I have only used Perforce in Windows, where I don't think this matters as much, but if I was in an environment that needed files marked as executable, that looks like something that can set separately from whether the file is binary or text.

#7 rhummer

rhummer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

We occasionally mark files as binary that are actually text when we need to enforce unix line endings, and we don't want to change everyones clientspec to that style.  As generally it's for one or two files.  We could solve this with a trigger as well, but switching the filetype to binary works just as well.
Lead Tools Engineer
Raven Software

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diff, binary, swarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users