4 replies to this topic

#1 briand

briand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:13 PM

We have a user that has created a very large Swarm review (20,000 files). When someone tries to bring up the review, things eventually time out and a page is displayed without any formatting or functionality. This prevents us from approving the review.

Can Swarm be re-configured to fail gracefully for very large reviews? Is there a way to make a very large review actually work through Swarm?
--
Brian

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

Hi Brian,

Let me inquire with our development since I did not find a reported bug or enhancement request.

However, I have learned there is a problem when there are large changelists in Swarm.  This is partially because of the way "p4 describe" works, and partially because any web page is a bad place to try to present 20000 lines of text.

In terms of this particular issue, do you need to see every single file from the changelist in a review?  For example, would displaying a fixed number of changes and then truncate the display with an "elipsis" ... be good?

#3 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:55 AM

Brian,

I spoke with development about your post here on the forum with this large number of files issue. At this time, unfortunately, Swarm cannot be configured to 'fail gracefully for very large reviews' and it presents a problem on both the Swarm server and in the web browser. The web browser is not really usable with such a large page and also Swarm itself runs out of memory. This type of difficult fix requires modifying both the front and back end to make this more scalable.

#4 briand

briand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for the update.

Regarding acceptable options, anything that allows the review to be approved/rejected is better than what is there now. In the meantime, I'll encourage my team to avoid using Swarm when they have a big changelist to review.
--
Brian

#5 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:42 PM

Hi Brian,

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

I have logged an enhancement request on your behalf to allow large reviews to be approved/rejected without page display. I have added your contact details to the report.  Should it be included in a future release you will receive a notification email.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users