8 replies to this topic

#1 michael

michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:31 AM

Hi,

My team has been using Swarm for about a year now, and other teams at my company have been adopting it more and more. Things have gone mostly well!

I recently heard this request from a new convert:

It would be great if swarm emails let me know if I am an optional or required reviewer. This would help me prioritize reviews where I am needed for approval vs reviews where I am just being kept in the loop.

I very much agree. Is this something we could add only through configuration, or would this have to be a feature request for Perforce?

Thanks,
Michael

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:33 AM

Hi Michael,

To clarify, does your user want something within the Swarm email like a text phrase that says "Approval Needed"? I want to make sure I understand the request and decipher what they feel is missing from the emails generated by the review workflow when their approval is needed.  An example would be helpful especially before filing an enhancement request.

#3 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

Michael,

Also to add, if someone adds you to a review as a required reviewer, you receive an email that says:

jdoe edited reviewers on review 7777 for project:branch
Made bruno a required reviewer.

The second sentence regarding 'required reviewer' will be in a light yellow box. How would the 'new convert' like this to be enhanced or changed?

#4 michael

michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:54 PM

Somehow I missed updates from this forum in my inbox! Don't know how I managed that. Apologies!

View PostP4Shimada, on 24 March 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

Michael,

Also to add, if someone adds you to a review as a required reviewer, you receive an email that says:

jdoe edited reviewers on review 7777 for project:branch
Made bruno a required reviewer.

The second sentence regarding 'required reviewer' will be in a light yellow box. How would the 'new convert' like this to be enhanced or changed?

I tested the case of editing the reviewers, and we didn't notice the behavior you mentioned in our Swarm instance (v2014.4). Is that behavior new in a more recent version of Swarm? Thanks!

#5 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:17 AM

Hi Michael,

No problem, it happens. :-)  Which build of Swarm do you have? (For the full Swarm Version info - from Swarm have admin user log into Swarm, click on their name and then click "About".)

I noticed the required reviewer was added as new minor functionality in 2014.4, according to the release notes:

http://www.perforce....rm_relnotes.txt
    #965024 (Bug #74656)
        It is now possible to specify required reviewers when creating
        reviews via the API.

#6 michael

michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:38 PM

We're on SWARM/2014.4/988814 (2015/01/19).

I think I may have been unclear though in the request. This isn't asking for an edit to the reviewers to produce a notification. What we would like is to have every notification that comes in for a review to somehow identify to the user whether they're required or not.

Use case:
Let's say we have three users, John, Lisa, and Alice.

John creates a review, and makes Lisa and Alice reviewers. Alice is a required reviewer. EDIT: At this point, Alice will receive an email indicating that she is required. This functions in our current configuration.

John then makes a comment. This should produce an email sent to both Lisa and Alice. In Alice's case, since she is a required reviewer, she wants her email to contain extra information identifying her as required. Likewise, in Lisa's email, there should not be information identifying her as required (or, perhaps information showing that there are required reviewers, and she's not one of them). EDIT: This is describing functionality that doesn't exist currently.

This information in Alice's (and perhaps in Lisa's) email is useful to her, as it tells her that she should pay attention to this review more than the other reviews she has active but for which she isn't required.

Does that scenario make sense?

#7 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:06 AM

Hi Michael,

Yes, understood. It does seem odd that you are not currently seeing the existing required reviewer functionality and text in the notification emails.  I think we should trouble-shoot your existing configuration to find out why your users are not receiving emails with the text:

Made <username> a required reviewer.

The Swarm guide has a section under 'Responsibility' that covers 'Required reviewers':

http://www.perforce....bility.required

Please verify that the user who is not seeing the indication in their email, is indeed flagged as required.

Also, please verify that the checkboxes to control email notifications checked. See #8:

http://www.perforce.....add.moderators

Also, we do have an existing enhancement request to change the avatar to reflect the review state, or relationship to the review. For example, if a user was a reviewer, required reviewer, author...etc...the avatar would change based upon what was required of them in the workflow or their relationship to the review. I can certainly add you to this request, if you would like.

#8 michael

michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hi,

I've edited my previous post to better indicate the difference between what is current functionality and what we would like added. Hopefully that clears up the request. We indeed to receive emails with the text "Made <username> a required reviewer", as you posted. This request isn't about those emails, it's about every other Swarm notification email received after that point.

Thanks,
Michael

#9 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:55 PM

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the additional details. Based on some of your feedback, you may be interested in the following:

A] Swarm as a review daemon, so that there is notification any time a change is submitted to a project or by a user you are following

http://www.perforce....rm_relnotes.txt

#645011, #645217 (Bugs #60966, #63100)
        Swarm can optionally act as a review daemon, emailing notifications
        about changes to paths that users have expressed interest in via
        reviews entries in their user form; see the documentation on email
        notifications.

B] There is an existing enhancement request so that after a review has not been reviewed and voted on by an @mentioned user or group it was emailed to, resend the notification to the non-compliant party

C] There is an existing enhancement request so that users receive email notification when commenting on their change

Let me know if you would like to be added to any of these existing requests and/or I can write up a new one for you with all your specifics.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swarm, review, reviewer, email

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users