4 replies to this topic

#1 nachodelosrios

nachodelosrios

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

Hello,

I use VS2012 to work on a quite large software project, on a solution with several projects and many thousand files, mostly C/C++. We use Perforce for version control, so I use both P4V and the P4VS plugin.

I have two issues with performance:

When configured as default, the project can take half an hour to open. This I have cured enabling the option "Treat Solution/Projects as directories when selected", but I don't really understand what the consequences may be.

Now what happens is that VS2012 works for a minute or two, then totally freezes, showing no activity and allowing no input or interaction for maybe a minute. Then, it starts responding again, but only for a couple of minutes, and then it freezes again.

All the time.

It is all but impossible to do any useful work. However, the issue goes away if I press cancel when asked for the connection details to the Perforce server.

For what it is worth, the project is used and updated by users around the world, and I access it not through the main server across the Atlantic through a slowish VPN, but through a local cache in my office.

What can I do?

Thanks for your help.

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear your P4VS is experiencing poor performance and freezing. What is the version of P4VS you are using? In Visual Studio, go to:
Tools -> Extension Manager.  Also, which version of Windows are you using (i.e. Vista)?

A potential workaround for what you are running into may be Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Perforce - Data Retrieval and setting Check server for updates every: [ ] to 0.  Please let us know if that helps.

Would you be willing to try a test build when it is available?

#3 Clay

Clay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:10 AM

We're having the same problem, and changing "Check server for updates" doesn't help.

Sorry to sound like a total newb, but why does P4 have to constantly check the server. When I used Perforce in the 1990s, I understood that P4 pretty much talked to the server in 2 situations:

1) Checking out a file.
2) Checking in a file.

I realize that Visual Studio and P4 now have features that tell me when other users have checked out a file out. But I DON'T CARE. (Sorry for shouting, but I want the P4 staff to know that to some of us, this feature makes no sense, and it's certainly not worth making Visual Studio unuseable). You can tell me there's a conflict when I check a file in. You don't need to constantly tell me if anyone else is working on a  file.

Thanks!

Clay

#4 mikemcmack

mikemcmack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

Running VS 2013, seeing same lockup issue.  I  see "P4 fstat -Olhp -m 100000  <part of a path>...  
in the status bar in dev studio.   Sometimes its tens of seconds, sometimes a few minutes.  It can be areal productivity killer.  It completely locks up the entire visual studio application when it occurs.   Any chance there is some configuration that we can fiddle with to get around this?

#5 nachodelosrios

nachodelosrios

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

View PostP4Shimada, on 04 March 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

A potential workaround for what you are running into may be Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Perforce - Data Retrieval and setting Check server for updates every: [ ] to 0.  Please let us know if that helps.

Thank you for the suggestion. This has cured the issue and the freezes are gone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: p4vs, vs2012, freeze, performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users