4 replies to this topic

#1 PeteS

PeteS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

I've noticed a tendency for people to add a comment to a review and then email the author the same comment. I think the two main reasons for this are (1) education - the users don't know exactly who gets what emails, and (2) paranoia - people want to make *sure* their comments are seen.

I think it would very be useful to we add a configuration setting - or even better, a per-user preference to "email me a copy of my actions", such that when an email is sent to the other reviewers, it would also be sent to the person who originated the email (probably best as a BCC, since he is already the sender).

I think this should be on by default (for discoverability), perhaps with a line at the bottom of the email "to turn off this notification, click here..."

Thanks

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:39 AM

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I think we have some existing requests I can already add you to but also there may be similar existing functionality. For example:

http://www.perforce....rm_relnotes.txt
#728989 (Bug #60909)
Users can now comment on jobs in Swarm under the new 'Comments' tab
on the job page. When there is a new comment, Swarm will send an
email notification to users listed in 'user' fields in the job,
@mentioned in the job description and users of associated changes.

#713201 (Bug #68815)
Introduced 'use_bcc' configuration item under 'mail' to address
recipients of changelist notifications via the BCC field instead of
the TO field. See the Email configuration section under
Administration of the documentation.

#645011, #645217 (Bugs #60966, #63100)
Swarm can optionally act as a review daemon, emailing notifications
about changes to paths that users have expressed interest in via
reviews entries in their user form; see the documentation on email
notifications.

#624174 (Bug #65032)
If a valid user id is @mentioned it will now be included on emails
and, if in a review, added as a review participant.

#905488, #962547 (Bug #73830)
Added options to disable sending emails to all project members for
commits and new review requests. The project edit page now has two
checkboxes that can control project notification emails.

There is an existing enhancement request for users to be able to send a *single* email with their comments, and notify the code owner that the review is done - a sort of way to batch emails for a series of comments. Let me know if this suits your needs and if you would like to be added to this request along with your comments above.

#3 PeteS

PeteS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

I had seen all the fixes/enhancements you listed, but while they are improvements, none of them quite fit the bill.

But yes, I am interested in the enhancement to batch comments into a single request, along the lines of http://forums.perfor...quest-a-review/ and other similar suggestions.

#4 mister_wilson

mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

>>There is an existing enhancement request for users to be able to send a *single* email with their comments, and notify the code owner that the review is done - a sort of way to batch emails for a series of comments. Let me know if this suits your needs and if you would like to be added to this request along with your comments above.

Hi P4Shimada,

I am also very interested in this enhancement request. Could you also add me to this feature request?

Thanks,

Jonathan

#5 areebs43

areebs43

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:07 PM

I would also like to vote for this feature.

My company has been using P4 since 2003 and currently we have ~150 registered accounts.

For me this feature would be very useful as it would allow me to search in my email for comments that I posted. This is quite handy when trying to find an old comment of mine to reuse in a new code review when it has the same old issue; or to find out why decision was made in a review a long time ago.

In terms of the existing functionality posted by P4Shimada, none of it really gets me what I'm looking for. I tried using @userid in a comment that I posted to see if I would get an email notification, but I didn't get one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swarm, email, review, comment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users