• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tford

tford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:03 PM

I'm having a lot of fun trying out the new DVCS features.  I'm trying to evaluate how these features will fit into our workflow and have a couple questions.

The first thing I noticed is that the p4 push bypasses review enforcement.  This makes sense, since the DVCS manual says the following:

Although the changelists are new submitted changelists in the personal server for a fetch and in the shared server for a push, none of the submit triggers are run in the personal server or the shared server

What's the logic behind the submit triggers in the shared server not being run as they would be in a traditional submit?  I can imagine this would break a lot of workflows that rely on custom triggers, not only the pre-commit-review workflow.  Is there a way to disallow pushes from bypassing review enforcement?  Possibly with pre-push triggers?

That leads me to my following question.  Let's say I did have review enforcement working for pushes -- these would all fail, since they wouldn't be associated with a Swarm Review.  It's not clear to me how one would create a review for a changelist that hasn't been pushed yet.  How would one emulate what is essentially a pull request?  It's almost like you need a way to transfer a set of local/personal changelists to the server as a shelved changelist.  e.g.
p4 push --shelved --create-review

#2 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

Hi,

I will investigate if there is currently a way to achieve the equivalent of a 'pull request' using our DVCS solution, and also
enquire if there are any plans to allow pushes from DVCS to a central server to be evaluated using triggers.

It may be that these things are on our road map, but have not yet been implemented.

Cheers,
Jen.

#3 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hi,

I believe that in the future, there will be a new trigger type, that is only used when DVCS servers communicate with a central
Perforce Server.

Different versions of the Swarm triggers will need to be provided, and I believe the Swarm developers are actively looking in to this.

I suggest keeping an eye on our Perforce Blog and communications centre for updates.

Cheers,
Jen.

#4 Kei Son

Kei Son

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:29 AM

+1
I'm waiting too

#5 simie

simie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

Did anything ever come of this? I can't find any documentation or blog posts about how to integrate swarm into a Perforce DVCS workflow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVCS, swarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users