19 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to integrate some files but can't get them to resolve.  I did this many times before but now when I right-click and select 'resolve' I get a pop-up box saying "There are no files that need resolving" even though the files still have a question mark against them and when trying to 'submit' I get error "Unresolved: Resolve this file before submitting" as expected.  Does anyone have an idea how I can resolve these please?

My exact steps where these:
-right click on folder
-select 'integrate'
-pick source and target folders
-select start and end changelists
-select '-f' option
-right click on pending changelist
-select 'get latest revision'
-select 'check out'
-select 'resolve'
-> pop up says nothing to resolve, but files still have question marks and can't be submitted
-> I did the exact sequence many times before and it always worked but now it doesn't, I tried different files, folders, options, restarted, no difference...

I'm using this Perforce version: Visual Client/NTX86/2007.3/149519.

Did anyone else get this problem too?

Thanks,
Andrea

#2 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

Which version of the server are you using?  (This should be under Help>About or Help>Version.)  2007.3 is a fairly old client version -- I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version of P4V that'll support your server.

#3 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

It doesn't seem to say which server version it is.  I tried upgrading my client some time ago but the later version was unusably slow on my OS, I was told it's a known problem.

#4 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

Meanwhile someone else tried on Client/NTX86/2011.1/428988 where it also doesn't resolve...

#5 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

Open a command prompt and run:

p4 info
p4 resolve -n

This should tell us the server version and what exactly needs resolving.

#6 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

these return connection was refused, I guess I'm not set up for using it in command line mode

#7 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

I tried this on someone else's PC too now.  p4 info gives this version: P4D/LINUX26X86_64/2015.1/1028542
p4 resolve n lists the files saying 'no file(s) to resolve' after each, but when trying to submit it tells me the files need resolving (and they really do)

#8 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:10 PM

Based on the fact that your server version is 2015.1, I think a newer version of P4V is going to let you resolve these files, but let's see if we can get them resolved/submitted from the command line first just to get you up and running.

First let's get you set up to be able to run commands from the command line.  Do:

p4 set P4PORT=<server:port>
p4 set P4USER=<username>
p4 set P4CLIENT=<workspace>

Make all of these exactly the same as how you have them set in P4V -- the server:port and username are in the title bar, and the workspace is in the dropdown over the depot/workspace tab.  Once you have them set correctly, "p4 info" should confirm that it's right by showing you your connection information.  (If you get messages like "connection error" or "client unknown" it means something's not set the same way it's set in P4V.)

Then do:

p4 opened
p4 resolve -am
p4 submit -c <change>

where <change> is the changelist that P4V's not letting you submit.

If you can copy and paste the output of all these commands, and they aren't doing what you expect, seeing the output may help me figure out what needs to be fixed.

#9 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for your help so far!  I ran the set commands but for the P4PORT even though I put the server name it says P4PORT=devenv:1666 (set).  the port is right but I didn't put devenv so I don't know where that's coming from.  when I the put the user and client as well which seems to go in correct, and then type p4 info it says connect to server failed, connect: devenv:1666: WSAECONNREFUSED....

#10 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:09 AM

Could you copy and paste the exact commands you ran and their output?  (Windows command prompt tip: from the window menu in the upper left, do "Properties" and check "Quick Edit Mode".  Makes copying and pasting to and from a command prompt much easier!)

As an example, here's what it looks like when I run a "p4 set" command to set my P4PORT and then another to check that it's set:

C:\p4\public>p4 set p4port=public.perforce.com:1666

C:\p4\public>p4 set p4port
P4PORT=public.perforce.com:1666 (set)

#11 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:48 AM

I tried it again and now it worked, ie I can connect on command line now, thanks.
I tried the resolve -am comand as above too, and that did resolve all files, so that's strange since they didn't resolve in the GUI which I tried first again.  So at least I can get these files resolved now, even though I wonder why it's different between command line and GUI.
Thanks for your help with this!

#12 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

Again, if I could see the output (from the "resolve" command specifically) I could say for certain, but I'll take a guess that the older version of P4V wasn't able to perform one of the resolve actions that the newer server asked it to (there was probably an server error message to this effect, but maybe it just went to the log pane instead of coming up somewhere more visible).  If that's the case, updating to the latest version of P4V should keep it from being a problem again.

#13 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

The resolve command listed each file followed by lines like this:
Diff chunks: 0 yours + 1 theirs + 2 both + 0 conflicting

In the GUI it listed each file followed by: no file(s) to resolve

Do you mean that the command line would have ran a newer version than the client?  Is that possible?  I've ran both on my PC with the older client, and it didn't resolve using the GUI but did resolve in the CL, I tried several times...

#14 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:10 PM

If my guess is right there was some other stuff in there as well -- if I had the complete output in front of me I could look for specific messages and point at the line in question and say "that's the one" and explain exactly how it got there and what it means, but since I don't I can only make vague guesses.  :)  I have a pretty strong hunch that upgrading to the latest version of P4V will make things better, though.

#15 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:19 PM

I tried a few more files, for these they also said ''no files to resolve'' in the GUI, and in the command line they now don't resolve, presumably because these have eg + 3 conflicting listed, so it now says '- resolve skipped' after the file name (and I noticed the 'Diff chunks' is in front of the file name, not after).

#16 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

I got these files resolved by using 'p4 resolve -at' now, shame that I can't merge these visually in Perforce but this is better than nothing. :)
Thanks!

#17 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

I missed your reply above before posting (didn't refresh my window first :)), I tried a lot of the files one by one as well and still had the same problem, so I don't think it can be that only one of the files caused all of them to fail.

Just now as a test I tried this on a file that has not changed in either source or target: (in the GUI) integrate using -f, get latest revision, check out file, resolve -> it tells me that there are no files to resolve, submit -> it tells me the file needs resolving first

then in the command line I typed "p4 resolve -am" which looked like this (I shortened the path names for readability):

C:\>p4 resolve -am
c:\P4\Dev\check.h - merging //depot/App/Rel/check.h#1
Diff chunks: 0 yours + 0 theirs + 0 both + 0 conflicting
//andrea/Dev/check.h - copy from //depot/App/Rel/check.h
C:\>

#18 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hm -- so it's not the issue I thought it was (that looks like a completely standard resolve).  This is still with P4V 2007.3, correct?  I'm thinking it must be some entirely different (very old) bug -- have you tried doing the upgrade to see if that fixes everything?

#19 Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

I also tried it on another machine with this version: Client/NTX86/2011.1/428988, but got the same result.

Last time I upgraded Perforce on my machine I regretted it since it was unusably slow, and it was very difficult to get the previous version back, so I'm a bit reluctant to try again...  Since this stopped working altogether though and it seems I get it for every file now I might not have a choice, maybe I can find someone with a newer version to try first.

#20 norbertm

norbertm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

I am having the same problem of unresolved files saying 'nothing to resolve'.
It is since updating P4D from 2012.1 to P4D version 2015.1.
The affected P4V client is X86 2010.1.
In my case the file (ascii) really needs a manual merge because a colleague has made changes to the same lines as I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users