mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

Hi,

I'm currently using Perforce Visual Client/NTX64/2014.3/1007540), and my Perforce Server version is P4D/LINUX26X86_64/2014.1/1045069 (2015/04/17).

I am currently trying to do a 'p4 copy' to copy files from one branch to another using the command line:

p4 copy -v -c 630510 //half-life-3/main/...@630248 //half-life-3/editor-dev/...

But I get the following WARNING message:
"Some files couldn't be opened for move. Try copying from @630017 instead?"
...and a popup message with:

Integration errors: can't open as move/add because //half-life-3/editor-dev/code/Game/Missions/Brick/PosSysDataBrickMissionObjective.cpp is not being opened for delete.
can't open as move/add because //half-life-3/editor-dev/code/Game/Missions/Brick/PosSysDataBrickMissionObjective.h is not being opened for delete.
There are a total of 2 errors.

>> Should I take perforce's advice and do the copy in 2 passes? (first copy UPTO changelist 630017 and then up to 630248)
...I'm not sure why it says "FROM 630017 instead"?

Thanks,

Jonathan Wilson

#2 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

You generally only need to worry about this if there's a good chance that you'll be changing the integration relationships between these codelines at a later date -- specifically, if you're going to be integrating from editor-dev to some other codeline that came from an older (pre-rename) version of main, without first integrating from main to pick up the move operation.

See this blog article: http://www.perforce....ing-reparenting

If you follow the advice given by the warning message, the confusing scenario described in that article can't come about later if you decide to reparent -- but if you never reparent (or "drive through the hedges", as Practical Perforce describes it) it won't happen anyway.

#3 mister_wilson

mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the explanation Sam, I was just hoping that 'p4 copy' would be more "overpowering or selfish".
What i mean by that is to just do the "copy" without stopping for any reason.

Whatever perforce needs to do in order to make 2 branches identical, then just do it :-)
(would the force -f option to p4 copy ensure this?)

#4 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

View Postmister_wilson, on 13 May 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

Thanks for the explanation Sam, I was just hoping that 'p4 copy' would be more "overpowering or selfish".
What i mean by that is to just do the "copy" without stopping for any reason.

It is and it does.  Just ignore the warning message (which is saying to you "warning: I am being overpowering and selfish and dropping your refactoring history") and submit the files it's opened, and you'll have a complete content-wise copy (which does not include the refactoring history).  :)

#5 mister_wilson

mister_wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:01 PM

Hi P4Sam,

I encountered another (very similar) occurrence of the aforementioned messsage.
But this time it did not give me a changelist number to try from.

Integration errors: can't open as move/add because //half-life-3/beta/data/graphics/_geometries/gfx/gfx_airbag_01.glm is not being opened for delete.
can't open as move/add because //half-life-3/beta/data/graphics/_geometries/gfx/gfx_airbag_01.xml is not being opened for delete.
can't open as move/add because //half-life-3/beta/data/graphics/_geometries/gfx/gfx_airbag_01.xml.metadata is not being opened for delete.
can't open as move/add because //half-life-3/beta/data/graphics/_geometries/gfx/gfx_airbag_02.glm is not being opened for delete.
can't open as move/add because //half-life-3/beta/data/graphics/_geometries/gfx/gfx_airbag_02.xml is not being opened for delete.
There are a total of 5 errors.

I treated the situation as the same and submitted the copy anyway. It seems to have worked out.

-Jonathan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4V, P4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users