4 replies to this topic

#1 Max Pavlov

Max Pavlov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

I used to work in a classic Perforce manner and the project in question used to be located at: //depot/Desktop/Services/ServiceVessel

I've moved each project type to a corresponding depot, so the new location for the project became:
//Desktop/Services/ServiceVessel yesterday.

I am able to Get the latest revision of the project into a normal workspace without a problem.

I am implementing a new codeline management process with Streams today. I've created a stream depot for a project from P4Admin. I've added a mainline stream right under stream depot called LogicVessel. When creating stream in P4V, I was asked by the UI about where I'd like to get initial contents for the stream. I've chosen existing depot and pointed to //Desktop/Services/ServiceVessel folder.

Whenever I am trying to start working with the main or dev (I've created dev shortly after the problem appeared), I get the following error:
Posted Image

//depot/Desktop/Services/ServiceVessel is an old location of that project from which it was moved to its own Desktop depot yesterday.

I don't know why it's searching an old, no longer available location for files and not using the designated stream source it explicitly asked for, but please, if you have any idea on how to get it to work correctly, please let me know.

Thanks!

UPDATE 1
I've noticed that even though I can normally Get files from //Desktop/Services/ServiceVessel to my file system, Swarm can't seem to open them in the UI giving me 500 Server Error. Perhaps something is partially wrong with the source files of mine, but what?

UPDATE 2
If I recreate a depot called depot via P4Admin everything gets back to normal. However, this is not what I intended. How come I can't remove the default depot called depot completely?

#2 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

This is the intersection of two things:

1) The depot definition includes the information about where the archive files are stored on disk (this is the "Map" field in the depot spec).
2) Most methods of copying files around in a Perforce repository do a copy by reference on the back end to save disk space.

So your "new" files are actually "lazy copies" of the files under //depot, and if you delete the "depot" spec, there's no more connection to where they live on disk, hence the sync failures.  Two possible solutions are:

1) Use "p4 snap //Desktop/... //depot/..." to make physical copies of those files.
2) Leave //depot in place, and use the protection table to "hide" it from end users (list user * * -//depot/...).

#1 leaves everything in a more "intuitive" state from the admin's perspective, but #2 is faster and will probably save you some disk space.  The end user won't see a difference either way.

#3 Max Pavlov

Max Pavlov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:42 PM

Wow, thanks! Will do.

#4 Max Pavlov

Max Pavlov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Just a wee question - if I snap all the folders to new depots, I am free to remove default depot, right? I will not lose the files that used to be therem since they are completely moved now, right?

#5 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

View PostMax Pavlov, on 31 May 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

Just a wee question - if I snap all the folders to new depots, I am free to remove default depot, right? I will not lose the files that used to be therem since they are completely moved now, right?

Yes; you should also be free to remove the physical "depot" folder (everything that was there that was important should have been copied off to the //Desktop depot).  Just to be safe, I'd move that folder elsewhere (i.e. to a backup location), then do a "p4 verify -q //..." at some point, just to make sure nothing is still referencing it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stream, checkout, depot, move

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users