#1 rtande

rtande

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hi all,

I'm having some issues restoring a checkpoint on a Linux server that has been set to run in case insensitive mode.

The server was started with the following command-line

p4d -r depot_dir -L depot_dir/log/log -J depot_dir/journal/journal -C1

and a checkpoint taken using

p4 -p perforce_host:1666 -u admin -P admin_user_password admin checkpoint

I then attempt to stop the server and attempt to restore from the checkpoint using

p4d -r depot_dir -L depot_dir/log/log -J depot_dir/journal/journal -jr checkpoint_file -C1

or

p4d -r depot_dir -L depot_dir/log/log -J depot_dir/journal/journal -jr checkpoint_file

and both fail with the following output

Recovering from checkpoint
Perforce server error:

Journal file 'checkpoint' replay failed at line 0!

Case-handling mismatch: server uses Unix-style (-C0) but journal flags are Windows-style (-C1)

As a test I've just created a new server and gone through the steps above and recreated the problem.

(The command-lines above have been simplified to remove full paths to make them easier to read)

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 12.39.37 PM.png

#2 Domenic

Domenic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:40 AM

When you run this:
p4d -r depot_dir -L depot_dir/log/log -J depot_dir/journal/journal -jr checkpoint_file -C1

Is depot_dir/journal/journal the same journal file that was used when you started the server? If so, try just running
p4d -r depot_dir -L depot_dir/log/log -jr checkpoint_file -C1
since everything that was in that journal is already in the checkpoint file.

#3 rtande

rtande

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:40 AM

Hi Domenic,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It helped me spot the mistake that I had made. The problem was in the command line

WRONG: p4d -r depot_dir -L depot_dir/log/log -J depot_dir/journal/journal -jr checkpoint_file -C1
CORRECTED: p4d -r depot_dir -C1 -L depot_dir/log/log -jr checkpoint_file depot_dir/journal/journal
The original command-line was specifying a journal file with -J but that was redundant as the database was being restored using the most recent checkpoint + journal files and so both needed to be fed to the -jr option.

I also found that moving the -C1 earlier in the command-line would "fix" the problem but I think that was masking the mistake that I'd made which was to only use the most recent checkpoint file to restore the database.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Server, Linux, Checkpoint, Case-sensitive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users