• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TyrelVanNiekerk

TyrelVanNiekerk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:58 PM

I am trying to install P4Python, but having issues.  I get the dialog box explaining why it does not install and what the reasons could be.

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit.

I have tried Python 2.7.10, 3.3.6, 3.4.3 (All 64 bit with P4Python), always the same message.
I have rebooted my PC several times.
Ensured that the path variable is set.
I ran Python  -V from the command line to ensure Python is found, running and the correct version.

I would really like to try this add-on, seems like a lot better way than just calling the EXE directly.  Is there a more up to date installer for P4Python?  Or can I manually install it?

Thanks.

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:39 AM

Hi Tyrel,

Sorry you are having installation issues. To help us better trouble-shoot your issue, please let us know the following:

a] Version details for ...
  • Perforce version: p4 info
  • Python version: python -V
  • Python compiler: python -c 'from platform import python_compiler; print python_compiler()'
  • P4Python version: python -c 'import P4; print(P4.P4.identify())'
b] What step are you on in the installation process?

c] Please copy and paste the message that you keep receiving

In general, P4Python will only work with the version of Python it was built for. P4Python must be built with the same compiler that was used to build Python and P4Api (that also includes 32-bit vs 64-bit). The release notes describe how to build P4Python on various platforms and may include potential known compilation errors.

REFERENCES

http://www.perforce....pythonnotes.txt

#3 TyrelVanNiekerk

TyrelVanNiekerk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

Hi,

I ended up uninstalling Python and reinstalling 2.7 and using an installer from one of the forum posts (http://forums.perfor...4python install).  Of course it would be nice to use the latest version of Python and I am still trying to do that, this just let me continue with the task I am trying to complete.
  • I did not download the P4Python source, just the installer.
  • I made sure both installers were 64 bit.
  • I did not install P4Api, unless it was installed with the special version of the P4Pyton installer.

So in my current install I have the following:
p4 info: Server version: P4D/LINUX26X86_64/2014.1/963489 (2014/11/18)
python -V: Python 2.7.10
I could not get the python compiler line to work.  It does not know what python_compiler is.
The command for P4Pyton did not work, but I ran it in the Python shell and got:
Perforce - The Fast Software Configuration Management System.
Copyright 1995-2014 Perforce Software.  All rights reserved.
This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.openssl.org/)
See 'p4 help legal' for full OpenSSL license information
Version of OpenSSL Libraries: OpenSSL 1.0.1d 5 Feb 2013
Rev. P4PYTHON/NTX86/2014.1/807760 (2014.1/807760 API) (2014/03/18).

The installer fails when initializing with the message: "There was a problem trying to get the P4Python install path."  followed by the possible reasons why it failed.  I tried running the installer as Administrator as well with the same result.

I am just trying to create a cross platform script to allow us to only check in an image file after a successful build in Jenkins if the latest revision in Perforce, excluding anything checked in by the build server, is different from what it was the last time.  I am new to Python.  We are trying it rather than creating a Powershell and bash file for the two environments.

#4 TyrelVanNiekerk

TyrelVanNiekerk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

While searching how to install this on Linux, I found the following link to some pre built installers for P4Perforce.

http://public.perfor...nlib/bin/?ac=83

It seems that this might actually contain a version of P4Perforce that works with Python 3.4.  It would be useful to have a dropdown on the API download page where you can select witch version of Python you are using.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Install, P4Perforce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users