• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silvester747

silvester747

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

Recently I am encountering something I suspect is a bug/flaw. When performing a resolve interactively (p4 resolve) I cannot open other files for edit. The p4 edit command will hang until you finish/abort the p4 resolve. This is most unfortunate, as often it occurs that you are resolving a file in the editor and you find out you need to move some changes to another file. Now I have to abort the resolve (ctrl-c), open the file for edit, restart the resolve.

P4/LINUX26X86_64/2015.1/1065617 (2015/05/27)
Server 2014.1/871904.

#2 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hi,

'p4 resolve' should prompt you with an option to edit the file, enabling you to change the contents without
killing the resolve.

For example:

bash-3.2$ p4 resolve
  /users/jen/workspaces/testing/15.1/depot/test - merging //depot/test#2
  Diff chunks: 0 yours + 0 theirs + 0 both + 1 conflicting
  Accept(a) Edit(e) Diff(d) Merge (m) Skip(s) Help(?)

When 'e' is selected a temporary file will show you the changes, so you can choose the content that should be included in the file you submit.

If the resolve dialog is not showing correctly, or the above behaviour does not fit your needs, please let us know.

Cheers,
Jen.

#3 silvester747

silvester747

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:08 AM

I am actually at that moment editing a file by choosing (e). However in this case functionality from file A was moved to new file B. This was causing merge conflicts. So inside p4 resolve I had file A open in the editor. I noticed I had to apply these changes to file B instead. So in another terminal I did 'p4 edit B', however that blocks until the resolve of A is finished.

So now I have to abort the resolve of A, open the diff for file A, edit file B accordingly, finally resolve file A.

#4 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

I believe we have designed things in this way, to prevent someone editing a file, while they are resolving it at the same time.

If this were to happen then the resolve may well be invalid, resulting in a user submitting something that
they actually did not want to.

You could use the 's' option to skip the resolve of 'fileA', work on resolving 'fileB', then come back to
'fileA'.

Alternatively, you may want to look at setting:

allwrite

in your client spec, and using 'p4 reconcile'.

This would mean that all files in your workspace would be writable, so you could make changes, then use
'p4 reconcile' to tell Perforce about them, instead of opening files for edit.

Hope this helps,
Jen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edit, resolve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users