1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew DeFaria

Andrew DeFaria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:57 PM

I have a question about perhaps best practices in integrating Swarm, Perforce and Git Fusion. I have a Perforce server and a Swarm. I'm trying to integrate Git Fusion into this picture. Now the Swarm server serves the Swarm web app as well as kicks off workers via the cron job. One thing I discovered was that I had a copy of the swarm-trigger.sh put over on the Perforce server. Then some time later I updated Swarm to 2015.1/1060524 from 2014.3/897280. Today I compared the swarm-trigger.sh script on the Swarm server with the copy that I had put on the Perforce server and noticed the obvious problem - my swarm-trigger.sh script on the Perforce server is old. Now I can easily copy the new one over but I was wondering what would be a best practice here? Should I simply install Swarm  on the Perforce server? I'm not sure I want the added burden of serving the Swarm web site from there. And where should that little cron thing run from?

As for Git Fusion, the install doc says:

you should exclude the user git-fusion-user from triggers on change-submit, change-commit, and change-content because they may block Git Fusion's operation.

I assume that this would only be an issue for Perforce repos that communicate and/or correspond to Git Fusion git repos of some sort. Therefore I'm concerned about "global triggers" or triggers set to the path of //... There is one swarm-trigger.sh line with //... in it and that's:

swarm.commit change-commit //... "/path/to/triggers/swarm-trigger.sh -t commit -v %change%"

Should I be concerned that this trigger may block Git Fusion?

#2 clesemann

clesemann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

Hi Andrew...Swarm and Git Fusion triggers can co-exist side by side, and don't interfere as long as you are using 14.x version of Git Fusion and Swarm, as they have built in integrations for each other. It is recommended you use the latest release versions of both products (GF 15.3, Swarm 15.2), though upgrading to GF 15.2 and higher requires a 2015.1 P4 Server.

I would update the trigger script - run it with ./swarm-trigger.sh and it will output the proper trigger configuration. Update the script with the Swarm Host and Swarm Token, then update the trigger table with the new entries, if necessary.

To answer your other questions, both GF and Swarm should be installed as close to the P4 Server, though GF should be a stand alone host, and should not be installed with Swarm on the same host as they tend to interfere with each other's configuration - it's not a supported config.

The cron job should, ideally, run on the Swarm host, and allow it to resolve itself locally.
Chris Lesemann
Senior Technical Lead - Perforce
Electronic Arts Canada

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swarm, perforce, git fusion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users