#1 amolode

amolode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hi,
We have been using Perforce in our company for about 10 years. All our projects are developed in regular depots without using streams. Now there is an interest in one of our big projects to move development of their new codelines under stream supporting environment. As far as I know a new special stream depot has to be created. Is there an established process of transferring or copying several codelines from a regular depot to a stream depot? If so, what are the restrictions of such a transition? How the history is preserved?
I would be grateful for any guidelines.

#2 phopkins

phopkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

When you first create a workspace in your stream, it (P4V) will ask you if you want to populate your stream from anywhere else on your server. I do this when I want to keep the revision history, it will show where we populated the new files from in the revision graph.  I usually have a throwaway 'playground' stream depot to experiment with such things to find the best way. Usually you can figure out what is best for your needs.

#3 amolode

amolode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

As I say we never used streams in our Perforce repository. So I didn't fully understand your answer. Can I populate a stream with files from another, regular, depot and still preserve history and ability to run diffs etc.?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: streams, depot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users