2 replies to this topic

#1 radimak

radimak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hi Team,

Is there any description how to use P4V with a local/personal (DCVS) server? I saw

Looking at http://www.perforce....ol-capabilities I can see the following answer:
it’s clear from the questions that the Helix Visual Client or P4V is used by many, whereas the demonstration focused solely on the command line, or P4. The answer is a bit yes because you can use P4V right now with a local repository through something of a hack. But the answer is also a bit no because full and proper support isn’t yet available.

What is the hack? How can P4V access the personal server? Do I need to run the P4D?
Also, what is the timeline to a better support of DVCS in  P4V?

Thanks!

#2 Olly

Olly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

Hi,

I know this is old, but came across this while searching for the same answer!
I've successfully setup a remote server, and cloned it locally with p4 clone. I can connect to the local 'personal' server just fine using the command line tools.
However, trying to connect eg. localhost:1666 in P4V doesn't work, and presumably is not the same 'personal' server connection.

So how is it possible to use P4V with a local personal server? Any updates?
At the moment it's a showstopper for me rolling this out to my team to help with distributed version control.

Thanks!
Olly

#3 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:58 PM

The easiest option IMO is to go into your DVCS directory and spin up a server daemon:

p4d -r .p4root -p 1666

after which you can point P4V at
localhost:1666
  and it's just like talking to any other Perforce server.

You can also look at the P4PORT string that's created in your DVCS server's .p4config file and paste that into P4V -- IIRC there's something a little tricky about doing it that way but I can't recall now what.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4v

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users