#1 Michael Schlueter

Michael Schlueter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationEssen, Germany

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

I started some tests with the new helix DVCS functionality.
I use an existing project on our main server that has two streams (main and develop).
I cloned the main stream to a local server using
p4 clone -p perforce:1666 -f //myproject/main/...
That worked well and I can work with this stream locally.
Now I would like to add the develop stream and I changed the "remote origin" configuration in the following way:

p4 remote origin
DepotMap:
//stream/main/... //myproject/main/...
//stream/develop/... //myproject/develop/...

I thought that p4 switch -l would show me both stream afterwards and that I can switch between main and develop.
However p4 switch -l still shows only the main stream and claims that develop does not exist.
How is this supposed to work?

Regards
Michael Schlueter

#2 P4Jen

P4Jen

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

Hi Michael,

I believe that currently, you need to modify the remote spec on the server you wish to clone the stream from, as well as the associated remote spec on your local server.

Once done, you should be able to clone the stream in to your local server.

If you wanted to create a new stream on the local server, that did not yet exist on the remote server, you would need to create the stream locally, as well as modifying the remote specs on the local and remote server.
You would then be able to start working in this stream locally, then push your changes to the remote server.

Hope this helps,
Jen.

#3 Michael Schlueter

Michael Schlueter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationEssen, Germany

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostP4Jen, on 25 August 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

I believe that currently, you need to modify the remote spec on the server you wish to clone the stream from, as well as the associated remote spec on your local server.
Ok, I assume that
p4 remote origin
Changes the remote spec on the server, right? How do I change the remote spec on my local server?

regards
Michael

#4 P4Matt

P4Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

p4 remote origin will change the spec on your personal server. The mapping between a personal and shared server is stored on the personal server so that the shared server does not need to track its sundry cloners.

#5 KangThePerforce

KangThePerforce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

Can someone please reply to this thread with the actual steps/commands required to accomplish the OPs question?

#6 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:04 PM

I think the answer to OP's question is just:

p4 stream //stream/develop

"clone" doesn't clone the stream spec, just the depot files -- the local DVCS server uses streams locally and will autocreate the "main" stream on clone to make managing branches easier (so you can switch/merge/etc), but clone/fetch/push are not really aware of streams on the shared server and will not translate them into streams on the local server.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dvcs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users