Is it possible to have a workspace that syncs with folders from streams and non-streams?

streams workspace

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mmsood99

mmsood99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

I have two folders in the repo. Folder A is in a stream. Folder B is not (and never will be for internal historical reasons)

Is it possible to have a workspace that syncs with folder A and B?

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

Hello,

Typically, your workspace has to have the one stream view in order for you to submit files to a stream. What are trying to accomplish with your stream and non-stream workspace? Which version of the server are you on?

For example, if you want to avoid having to sync an entire large stream, one way is to work in a non-stream workspace that has a limited (manually defined) view of the stream. You can run 'sync' and 'copy' with the limited view, and when you have open files ready to submit, you can switch your workspace to the stream and submit without syncing. (This copies only the files that are in the limited view, of course.)

When it comes to stream workspaces, it is definitely possible to use one workspace for multiple stream paths, as described here:

Using one workspace for multiple streams

http://www.perforce....spaces.multiple

#3 mmsood99

mmsood99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the response. I am afraid things are little more archaic in our organization. Here is our situation:
  • We have a huge body of legacy code deposited in "classic" perforce (i.e. not in a stream)
  • Many project use this code from classic perforce
  • These projects *will not* change the way they work, and will continue to keep the legacy code in "non-stream" perforce
  • Being a trendy chap, I am using streams in my workflow
  • But now I need to work on two bodies of code (in the stream, and in "classic" perforce)

Can I make a workspace that pulls code from my stream and the traditional "classic" perforce.

How can I tell what version of PF server I have?

#4 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:44 PM

Run "p4 info" to get your server version.  If you're using streams you're on at least 2011.1.  :)

If you don't need to edit the classic/legacy code, just throw an "import" line into your stream, kinda like this:

import legacy/... //depot/old/legacy/code/...

If you need to edit it, then there are two ways of doing it: one is to branch that code into your stream (regular old "p4 integrate" will do this just fine), work on it in your stream, and then merge it back.  The other is to work directly on it from within your stream workspace by using an "import+" line (which might not be available depending on your server version).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: streams, workspace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users