• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phoncible

phoncible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

BranchA/file.a needs to be merged into BranchB/file.a which was previously file.b and had a "move" operation performed to be come a type *.a.  In the conversion of BranchB/file.b to file.a there was a line added.  When compared to BranchA's version, this line is the only difference between the files.

When merging BranchA/file.a into BranchB/file.a, p4v marks for resolve (I use "Safe automatic resolve, no merging") so I select "run merge tool".  Even though the only difference is the singular line, the p4merge tool treats the entire files as one giant conflict.  It does not recognize any of the similarities between the files, even though 99% of the files' content are identical.

Is there any way to force p4merge to recognize the similarities?  Or am I simply forced to use a different diffing tool to run these particular merges?

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

Hi Michael,

To help us better resolve and trouble-shoot your issue, can you please send the following:

a] Version of P4V you are using
Help > System Info > Application > P4V version

b] Version of the Perforce server
Help > System Info > Connection >Server version

c] What are the file types for BranchA/file.a and BranchB/file.a?

d] Is the singular line a blank space or line ending or a content difference?

e] Does Auto-resolve prompt you to either "accept source" or "accept target"?

#3 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

P4Merge has a bunch of options to ignore various types of whitespace -- try enabling those and see if the merge result changes.  Based on your description I'm guessing something bad happened with the line endings (like the person who did the edit used a Windows editor and submitted it with a "unix" LineEnd).  If that's the case, telling P4Merge to ignore the line ending differences should fix the merge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resolve, p4merge, merge, diff, compare, confilct

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users