9 replies to this topic

#1 jamesh

jamesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:05 AM

P4VS - Perforce Plugin for Visual Studio   2015.2.124.8831

Our team has been seeing this since we migrated to VS2015. When working with a solution in our depot, we get many complaints in the output window along the lines of

"->fstat -Ol I:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\type_traits
[E_ERROR] Path 'I:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\type_traits' is not under client's root 'I:\Workspace'."

and

"->fstat -Olhp c:\Users\jhenderson.EU\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\SingleFileISense\_sfi_527a4aa7-10d8-4e02-ba52-fb44e1bb1138_.vcxproj.filters
[E_ERROR] Path 'c:\Users\jhenderson.EU\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\SingleFileISense\_sfi_527a4aa7-10d8-4e02-ba52-fb44e1bb1138_.vcxproj.filters' is not under client's root 'I:\Workspace'."

Also, it tries to do operations on system files when an assert fires) n the middle of debugging sessions, and pops up an annoying dialog box:

"add -f c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10150.0\ucrt\internal\report_runtime_error.cpp

Errors:
Path 'c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10150.0\ucrt\internal\report_runtime_error.cpp' is not under client's root 'I:\Workspace'."

These files aren't something we should be checking in, and I wouldn't expect Perforce to try to do anything to them. They're not part of our solution, but may sometimes be listed in the "External Dependencies".

I was able to create a simple project that exhibits this behaviour. It needs to use "Multi-Threaded Debug" Code Generation settings (/MTd) - the DLL version does not exhibit the same issue. I've attached it to this page.

Could you let me know what, if anything, I can do to resolve this, as it is very annoying!

Attached Files

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hi James,

Are you using the ignore feature for files that you do not want to check in? If they are not part of your Visual Studio work then the ignore file feature may do what you want - eliminating fstats on those files. (See 'P4VS: Ignoring "unwanted" files in Visual Studio' http://answers.perfo...rticles/KB/3674 .)

Also to better help trouble-shoot, what are your P4VS settings for the following performance tuning options?:

- Treat Solution/Projects as directories when selected
- Preload file state
- Lazy load file state options
- Update status on Selection Changed
- Refresh settings: Tools --> Options --> Tools Source Control --> Perforce - Data retrieval -> Check server for updates every
- - Also check in P4V: go to Edit --> Preferences --> Server Data -> Check server for updates every

#3 jamesh

jamesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

We are not using the ignore feature. These are Windows system headers etc that are not part of our Visual Studio projects, and thus subject to change, so keeping an ignore file up to date would be a chore.

- Treat Solution/Projects as directories when selected
- Preload file state
- Lazy load file state options
  Do not optimize (The interface seems to have changed in this recently from when I last looked at it)

- Update status on Selection Changed - Disabled
- Refresh settings: Tools --> Options --> Tools Source Control --> Perforce - Data retrieval -> Check server for updates every - 0 minutes
- - Also check in P4V: go to Edit --> Preferences --> Server Data -> Check server for updates every - 0 minutes

I'm not really bothered by the fstats, more by the dialog message when asserts fire in our code. I just happened to notice the fstat error messages as well. The performance is generally fine.

#4 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:39 AM

View Postjamesh, on 29 October 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

I'm not really bothered by the fstats, more by the dialog message when asserts fire in our code. I just happened to notice the fstat error messages as well. The performance is generally fine.

Thanks for your settings output and feedback. In version 15.3 there are plans to make P4VS no longer show the error dialog when VS tells P4VS to add a file that really should not be added. I have added your email to this feature and when it is implemented you will be notified.

Also, for now you could turn off the auto add feature. Look under the General settings tab.

#5 buchack

buchack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:49 AM

I'm experiencing the same problem. Each time I open any source file from standard library or 3rd party library the error is shown. The same error is shown on file close. Problem occurs only in VS2015, the same add-in (v. 2015.2.124.8831) installed in VS2012 works with no problems.

Disabling 'Auto add new files to Perforce' helps a little bit - dialog is shown only on file close, not on file open.

#6 ekiander

ekiander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

Getting the same problem. VS 2015 and P4 will attempt to add any file I open into source control. I enabled the ask me before doing anything option so I can prevent it. I'm wondering if it's a problem with P4V or Visual Studio. Because it will also cause my visual assist X to think it has to re-parse all my files.

#7 buchack

buchack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

Looks like Update 2016.1 fixed all my problems :)

#8 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

View Postekiander, on 03 February 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

Getting the same problem. VS 2015 and P4 will attempt to add any file I open into source control. I enabled the ask me before doing anything option so I can prevent it. I'm wondering if it's a problem with P4V or Visual Studio. Because it will also cause my visual assist X to think it has to re-parse all my files.

Have you tried the new update to P4VS? I am not sure which version you are using for P4VS. You can download here, for example:

http://ftp.perforce....x86/p4vs10.vsix

http://ftp.perforce....x86/p4vs11.vsix

View Postbuchack, on 04 February 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

Looks like Update 2016.1 fixed all my problems :)

Thanks for the update, Krzysztof.

#9 jamesh

jamesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

I don't recall ever updating it, but P4VS now appears to be version 2016.1 on my machine. I just tried doing what normally brought up the popup box and didn't see said box, so I guess my issue is resolved. I'll let you know if I notice the issue again!

#10 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

View Postjamesh, on 05 February 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

I don't recall ever updating it, but P4VS now appears to be version 2016.1 on my machine. I just tried doing what normally brought up the popup box and didn't see said box, so I guess my issue is resolved. I'll let you know if I notice the issue again!

Hi James,

I'm really glad the issue is resolved with the 2016.1 version. Thanks for the update!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users