P4VS prompts for delete when closing file?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 awbushnell

awbushnell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

We have Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 and the latest version of the PV4S extension (205.2.124.8831).  I am running into a strange prompt/problem...

In our Solution setup we have solution folder, in this folder is a bunch of header files that are added to it.  These files are also added to our version control. When I double click one of these headers from this solution folder to open it, upon closing it, I get a prompt from version control asking if I want to delete the file from Version control?? I have attached a screen shot of the prompt I get.

I am not sure if it is because it these header files are not added to any specific Project in our solution or not as header files I tried the same open/close on that are in projects in the same solution do not exhibit the behavior..

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Attached Thumbnails

• Delete_Prompt.JPG

#2 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for reporting this. Sorry that you ran into this bug. I have added your comments and email to an existing bug regarding the unneeded "Would you like to Mark for Delete the file in the Depot" pop up dialog.

#3 jcohen

jcohen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:12 AM

Hi, I just installed VS2015's Update 2 (it's still in Community Preview but should be out soon), and I am also seeing this bug.  Since it brings up a dialog asking me to p4-delete every file I close, and reloading a project involves closing and reopening many files at once, this is a showstopper.  For the first time in years, I'm considering uninstalling P4VS and going back to manually running p4-edit from the commandline for every file I touch (which is very slow, but at least won't trick me into accidentally deleting files).  Please fix this ASAP because it ruins an otherwise fantastic tool!

Thanks!
-- Jason

#4 P4Shimada

P4Shimada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:02 AM

View Postjcohen, on 22 March 2016 - 05:12 AM, said:

Hi, I just installed VS2015's Update 2 (it's still in Community Preview but should be out soon), and I am also seeing this bug.  Since it brings up a dialog asking me to p4-delete every file I close, and reloading a project involves closing and reopening many files at once, this is a showstopper.  For the first time in years, I'm considering uninstalling P4VS and going back to manually running p4-edit from the commandline for every file I touch (which is very slow, but at least won't trick me into accidentally deleting files).  Please fix this ASAP because it ruins an otherwise fantastic tool!

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your feedback. I have added your comments to the existing bug report for this issue on your behalf. After the fix is released you will receive notification by email.  

In terms of a scheduled fix, I cannot say for sure but it might be in the next release. However, checking the release notes will  always update you on all the new features and fixes:

http://www.perforce....n/release-notes

In addition, here is another good link that covers patch notes:

http://www.perforce..../patchnews.html

#5 jcohen

jcohen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:01 AM

I figured out a simple repro for this...  If I have an active changelist set, and I have a solution open, then opening/closing files in the solution works just fine.  But any time I close a file that is not part of the solution or referenced by it (perhaps because I opened it with File | Open File... or I dragged in a file from Explorer), P4VS brings up the dialog box asking if I want to p4-delete it.  Hopefully this makes it easy for you to get a local repro and fix it.

#6 amirgon

amirgon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:50 AM

I'm also seeing this issue on our VS2015 solution. This is quite an annoying issue that affect our group on a daily basis.
Please ping back when this is solved!

#7 Kumputer

Kumputer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:36 AM

This also occurs when closing files referenced in the solution but not under a project. Really annoying and potentially dangerous.

#8 Tobler

Tobler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

Hello, I also want to push this topic as I run into this issue VERY often. As already stated by the posts above, the reproduction is simple:
Close a source file that is not a part of the solution (e.g. a 3rd party source file) and the aforementioned dialog will pop up.
A fix would be greatly appreciated.

#9 dpryczek

dpryczek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

This issue is extremely annoying. It steals a lot of my daily work time. There is not even a 15 minute period of visual studio keystrokes without this "mark for delete" prompt.
I tried older version of P4V (2014.3), but it did not help.
No only it is dangerous, but also frequent deletions of crucial headers (I'm deleting few wxWidgets headers per hour now) force my project to complete rebuild, because restored headers are marked as modified.
This costs me a lot of time.
If I cannot get my hands on some older (actually working) versions of P4VS I'm simply ditching this plugin as completely unusable.
Is anybody working on fixing this? Is there some kind of roadmap? A date of expected release of fixed version? Any information would be helpful.

#10 dpryczek

dpryczek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

I want to also add, that this does not happen only when the user explicitly closes a file. That would be bearable, since it would not occur during keystrokes in the text editor.
But this happens constantly when VisualStudio intellisense is closing files in the background (or it might be Visual Assist plugin, I'm not sure), which happens in the middle of me typing some code,
which results in actually marking the file for delete and closing the annoying pop-up. And then after a while I realize that if have just deleted some library files I had no idea were even opened in the background.

Is there any quick fix for this? Something about workspace configuration maybe?

#11 BrianH

BrianH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMiddleton, WI

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:56 PM

We have a user that is reporting a similar situation. They will get the "Mark for Delete" popup anytime they are debugging and single step into a file that has been imported from another depot.

#12 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:54 AM

This issue has been reproduced within Perforce.  Here is a possible workaround until we can fix the bug.
First check the “Prompt for changelist when checkout or adding file”.
This will allow the ablity to not add the file to Perforce.
Second uncheck the “Automatically add new files to Perforce”
This will not cause the p4 add to happen and therefore the delete dialog should not show up when the file is closed.
Then at some point in time select the Project or Solution and select Mark for Add and the files that were added in the solution will be added to Perforce.

#13 kcwill2

kcwill2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Is there a any plan or date to fix this?

This makes stepping through the debugger REALLY frustrating.

I have used this plugin every day and find it valuable, but this bug renders it pretty much unusable.

#14 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

A fix for this is being considered, but there is no fix date available at this time.

#15 qwertzuio

qwertzuio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

I get that same behaviour under slightly different conditions:
- open a file which is not part of the current VS-solution (but anyway is under version control by P4)
- close the file
- open and close the file again
On the 2nd close, the prompt for delete appears.

I'm not sure if this is the same bug, but it certainly seems related. The workaround mentioned above does not fix the issue.

Please note that this is a very common workflow for me (e.g. for debugging, as mentioned above by others, or for having a quick look into a file from a related library). Several people in my organization suffer from the issue and I'd like to upvote the importance of this bug.

Version of P4VS is 2016.2.147.9832. Version of Visual Studio is 14.0.25431.01 Update 3.

#16 ldecarufel

ldecarufel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

Any update on the fix for this very annoying problem?

I'm using P4VS version 2017.1.152.674, and the "Mark for delete" dialog keeps appearing from time to time in VisualStudio 2015.

I can reproduce the problem very easily by using the "Go to definition/implementation" function of VisualAssistX, if a temporary file that is not in the solution was previously opened. P4VS will ask to "mark for delete" the last opened temporary file (the file last opened in the "Preview" tab).

What's really dangerous is that the default button in that dialog is "Yes", so if you accidentally hit Enter it marks the file for delete even if you never intended to do that.

#17 qwertzuio

qwertzuio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

The issue seems to be resolved (P4VS 2017.2.158.2681, VS 2015 Update 3). Maybe some P4-member can confirm officially.

#18 P4Reg

P4Reg

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:33 PM

View Postqwertzuio, on 07 November 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

The issue seems to be resolved (P4VS 2017.2.158.2681, VS 2015 Update 3). Maybe some P4-member can confirm officially.

Yes, this is fixed. Here's the relevant extract from the P4VS Release Notes:

1561829 (Bug 81180) *
            P4VS will no longer mark a file for delete if the OnDelete
            signal from Visual Studio has been erroneously sent for a file
            closed in the editor that is under source control, but not
            part of the currently active solution.

#19 amirgon

amirgon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

The issue is *not* fixed!
After updating P4VS to version 2017.2.158.2681, it still prompts to delete a file every time I close it on the editor.
This happens with files which are not part of a Project, but are part of a solution folder.

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2015
Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3

#20 P4Reg

P4Reg

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues.

You comments will be passed back to the developers (If you have a support agreement with Perforce it would help if you could you open a case to help investigate).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users