P4VS prompts for delete when closing file?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Whittaker

Tom Whittaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

This is happening for  me as well.  Visual Studio Community Edition 15.7.2  and the latest P4V 2018.2.1666551   PVS 2018.2.166.5339 ( Unity 2017.3.1f1)
  • If I open a file via the Solution Explorer and then close the file the dialog "Mark for Delete" appears
  • If I open the file via File Open and then close the file the dialog does not appear.
  • If I open the file via Visual Assist and then close the dialog  does not appear
In this case these files are asset shader(.shader) files for a unity project.  The issue only happens when editing .shader files and not opening .cs files.  This file open case is the easiest repro case I have but I do get a similar issue when browsing the source code. I have never seen this behavior before and have used P4 for many projects.  I tried disabling Visual Assist,  Optimize File Status  Lazy Load v. Treat as Directories, reinstalling PVS and Perforce.  This issue is repeatable on a few machines but not all my co-workers experience the issue

Visual Studio Log when opening a file via Solution Explorer
->fstat -Olhp c:\depot\Prototypes\TC\Assets\GameAssets\Shaders\SplineProjectorShader.shader
->changes -l -c twhittaker_Workspace -s pending -u twhittaker
->fstat -Olhp c:\depot\Prototypes\TC\Assets\GameAssets\Shaders\SplineProjectorShader.shader

The line :
->changes -l -c twhittaker_Workspace -s pending -u twhittaker
doesn't appear when opening C#(.cs) files the same way.

->fstat -Olhp c:\depot\Prototypes\TC\Assets\NewBehaviourScript.cs
->fstat -Olhp c:\depot\Prototypes\TC\Assets\NewBehaviourScript.cs

#22 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

Hello,

There is a newer version, 2018.3.168.2696, that was released on July 24, 2018. I would expect that the behavior has not changed, but it would be helpful if you could confirm that it still happens with this latest version.

When you say you have not seen this behavior before, does that mean that it did not occur with P4VS 2018.1 or earlier?

Are the .shader files checked into Perforce?

Any sample projects for Unity that you could point me to so I can attempt a repro here?

Opening a support case, may be the most efficient way to investigate this further. Could you please email support@perforce.com and copy bbaffy @ same?

#23 Tom Whittaker

Tom Whittaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

"There is a newer version, 2018.3.168.2696"
Where can I get that version?  The latest version I see is 2018.2.1687764
https://www.perforce...sual-client-p4v

Yes, the shader files are checked into Perforce and are in the solution.

I'll look into making a sample project.  However I found a work around in both Visual Studio Community 2017 /Professional versions by adding a file extension for the affected file types.
Visual Studio ->Tools->Options->Text Editor->File Extension  for .shader and .cginc files types to "Microsoft Visual C#"

After adding that I no longer get the issue.  I found the solution on another site.  Don't remember the link.

#24 p4bill

p4bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:42 PM

The version you are pointing to is for P4V, P4VS is here:
https://www.perforce...ual-studio-p4vs

You can also update/download from within Visual Studio -> Tools -> Extensions and updates...:
extensions.JPG

Or go to the VS Marketplace page:
https://marketplace....forVisualStudio

#25 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:53 PM

Closing this topic.

If you see further problem, make sure you use the latest P4VS and let us know which version you are using and the circumstances where you are unexpectedly prompted for a delete.

If there is a need for further discussion on P4VS prompting for a delete either start a new topic in the P4VS forum or add to this thread:

https://forums.perfo...e-in-the-depot/

#26 p4rfong

p4rfong

Advanced Member

• Staff Moderators
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:50 PM

Also, do try the latest P4VS first.
ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r18.3/bin.ntx86/p4vs.vsix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users