#1 ava

ava

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBruges

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hello,

I've been asked in a response to my review for feedback on the latest update of the P4Connect plugin on the asset store (https://www.assetsto...!/content/25523)

As a reference, we're currently using 2015.2.124.5673-Release, so I compare everything with that version.

1. The output in the console log is still the same, every time I run the game or open the project I get this output:

Posting New Topic - Perforce Forums - Mozilla Firefox.jpg

However, the setting says only to show "fatal" messages:

PrtScr capture_11.jpg

2. We use several third party plugins in our projects. If we put every plugin into his own folder in the Assets folder we would have a large and cluttered mess. So instead we have a folder "3rdParty" where we put all third party libraries. The same goes for the p4Connect plugin. If I use the latest version I get these error messages:

Unable to open archive file: C:/Develop/Kweetet-Dev/Launcher/Assets/P4Connect/Editor/P4Connect.icons
UnityEngine.AssetBundle:LoadFromFile(String)
P4Connect.Icons:Initialize()
P4Connect.Icons:CheckInit() (at c:/tmp/62217225/depot/main/p4-connect/src/P4Connect/P4Connect/P4Connect.PasswordPrompt.cs:71)
P4Connect.Icons:GetIcon(String)
P4Connect.Config:OnGuiStatusBar() (at c:/tmp/62217225/depot/main/p4-connect/src/P4Connect/P4Connect/P4Connect.Menus.cs:247)
P4Connect.Config:OnGUI()
UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Failed to load C:\Develop\Kweetet-Dev\Launcher\Assets\P4Connect\Editor\P4Connect.icons bundle
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
P4Connect.Icons:Initialize()
P4Connect.Icons:CheckInit() (at c:/tmp/62217225/depot/main/p4-connect/src/P4Connect/P4Connect/P4Connect.PasswordPrompt.cs:71)
P4Connect.Icons:GetIcon(String)
P4Connect.Config:OnGuiStatusBar() (at c:/tmp/62217225/depot/main/p4-connect/src/P4Connect/P4Connect/P4Connect.Menus.cs:247)
P4Connect.Config:OnGUI()
UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
P4Connect.Icons.GetTexture (System.String name)
P4Connect.Icons.GetIcon (System.String name)
P4Connect.Config.OnGuiStatusBar () (at c:/tmp/62217225/depot/main/p4-connect/src/P4Connect/P4Connect/P4Connect.Menus.cs:247)
P4Connect.Config.OnGUI ()
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

From what I gather this means that the path to the icons file is hardcoded. I get thousands of these messages, probably meaning that the code tries to load the file every OnGUI call, and not in a initialization function that stops when either the file has been loaded or an error occured.
I would suggest that the plugin can run from any folder a user would want to put it in. If the icons are the only items with a hardcoded path, I would just get rid of them, see also point 6. And don't do any loading in OnGUI functions.

3. The project root issue seems to be fixed

4. The message "Bad settings, please fix" popping up 4 times is gone, thank you :).

5. When I enter a username that does not exist I get an error in the log:

P4Exception: User test doesn't exist.

Which is good, but I also get this warning:

P4Connect - Perforce integration is enabled but inactive: Password invalid

Which is weird, since the user doesn't exist, why bother checking a password?

6. This may be a more personal issue and just a matter of taste, but the overall layout of the settings window looks quite clumsy and confusing to me, with the many big and colored buttons. And what's up with that bee? I'd suggest that you try to create a window layout that fits more in the professional look and feel of Unity.

So overall, I won't be upgrading since it breaks our projects and I see no reason (yet) to alter my review.

Regards,
Alex

Attached Files

#2 ava

ava

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBruges

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

Sorry for the double post, I got an error message when I submitted the first time saying something went wrong in the database and that I should try again.

#3 P4Norman

P4Norman

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOakland CA, USA

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:03 AM

Thanks for the detailed feedback. In 2016.1 SSL was broken,  I released a fix for it today on the workshop

https://swarm.worksh...s/main/releases

And there were some strange issues  with usernames and passwords which got fixed.

Yes the path to the icon bundle is hard coded.  I've filed a bug on your behalf.

https://swarm.worksh.../jobs/job000480

I'm sure there are more issues, so please email support@perforce.com and I'll be glad to work with about them individually.

#4 P4Norman

P4Norman

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:19 PM

Hi Ava,

Thank you for you detailed feedback,  I've addressed your latest issues.   If you're feeling energetic,  I'd like to get your feedback on the latest (patch 2) release 2016.1.137.5274  available on Perforce ftp here:

ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r16.1/bin.multiarch/p4Connect.unitypackage.

Thanks!

#5 ava

ava

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBruges

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hi,

I just noticed your reply, I am trying out the 2016.1.137.5274 version in my personal project, using Unity 5.3.4f1

1/ When I add a C# script to the project, the P4 settings window opens and it checks my connection.
2/ Checking the connection is very slow, it used to be a matter of 1-2 seconds, now its more 10-20. Same server so I don't think it's the connection...
3/ Same thing happens when I delete the file
4/ When Unity starts, the P4 settings window opens, even if I closed Unity with the settings window closed.

This is not usable at all, every time I open the editor, add or remove a file I get this window, which takes quite some time to check the connection, surely this is not intended?

#6 ava

ava

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBruges

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

The slow connection seems to be another issue - I have it as well with the 2015.2 version, I'll check what changed on the assembla server. The issues on the popping p4 settings remain valid.

#7 P4Norman

P4Norman

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hi Ava,

I really appreciate your quick feedback about issues with p4connect!  

Your report helped me locate the re-connect after run issue you've been seeing, and now running your game is quite smooth.

I think you'll be much happier with the 2016.2 release now available:

ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r16.2/bin.multiarch/p4Connect.unitypackage

Please consider updating your review on the asset store if you like the latest release.

Thanks,

View Postava, on 08 May 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

The slow connection seems to be another issue - I have it as well with the 2015.2 version, I'll check what changed on the assembla server. The issues on the popping p4 settings remain valid.

#8 ava

ava

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBruges

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

Finally got around testing the 2016.2 version.

It looks a lot better, there is a connection dialog at startup but that's to be expected. No more reconnect issues indeed.

I had a weird issue: with a clean setup, if I enter my credentials, but I type a mistake in my workspace, I get an error saying that the server URI is wrong.
If I correct my mistake the connection succeeds. Then if I disconnect, then type the same mistake and reconnect I get the correct error saying that the workspace doesn't exist.

But that's a minor issue I guess, thanks for all the fixes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users