3 replies to this topic

#1 joeymaru

joeymaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hello!

I am attempting to use Perforce Cloud with Unity but I am having some issues with setup.

I have been poking around on some youtube videos, seeing how it works and such, followed installation directions and everything mostly went ok.

When I go into Unity I can't use the native Perforce vc, since it is out of date, so I tried using the P4Connect plugin.

I found that the asset store version has a bug, where the ssl connections do not work.

So I downloaded the release that has it fixed "p4Connect16_1_1364173.unitypackage".

I am still having the same issues unfortunately.

I am pretty sure I am putting in the settings correctly, I copied the ssl link from my cloud project, put in the correct username, pass and workspace, but still no dice.

Any help would be appreciated, we would like to use this instead of git hopefully in the future.

Thanks!

#2 P4Norman

P4Norman

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOakland CA, USA

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

If you are connecting to Helix Cloud,  it is a Unicode server, so you will also need to set the P4CHARSET option in the configuration.

If that doesn't work for you, please take a screen shot of your configuration dialog and email it to support@perforce.com.   I can then diagnose your issue and follow up with you directly.

Thanks!

#3 joeymaru

joeymaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

Hey Norman!

Thanks for the reply, that was the issue.

For some reason, my default char set on windows was set to Western or something like that. Kind of misleading for someone who doesn't really know what to put for that. (Maybe it was somewhere in the setup guide and I didn't see it..)

A couple of other things to note, as a new user of perforce, there are some things that I feel need some work.

During forum sign up, it is frustrating to be forced to put in a command line command to a service you are not familiar with. I was trying to sign up on the forum for help with installation, I had no idea what to put so I googled "p4 commands" and just started pasting in commands til it finally let me through.. I know that is probably to keep spammers out, but maybe keep this in mind. As a new user of Perforce, it was a frustrating experience.

The P4Connect plugin is VERY intrusive. It constantly interrupts my work flow. I feel like I can't do anything without it saying "Hold on.." and hangs my editor. This wouldn't be an issue with it didn't take so long. At some points I'm sitting there for over 30 seconds waiting for it to go away. It also runs its check 2-3 times? (Checking server..Checking login..Checking Workspace..Checking project root..) If it only did it once it would probably only take 5-10 seconds which is a little better but still very very annoying. I understand the need when I'm creating a new asset and it needs to add it to the server or something, but it even does it EVERY time I hit play in the editor, so I have to wait 30ish seconds every time I try to test my game. I have it disabled at this moment because of how annoying it is, and I just turn it back on every once in awhile to let it catch up.

I know the Unity native support for Perforce is supposed to be much better, but they seem to be dragging their feet on updating it, so I have no choice but to use the P4Connect plugin, which I understand there are probably severe limitations you guys have and are trying to compensate the best you can.

We have scheduled a support call for next week to try and overcome some of these problems, but if you have any advice I would love to hear it. I'm excited to get this working because the idea of it seems great, and I would love to use this as our main source control.

Thanks for your time,
Joey

#4 P4Norman

P4Norman

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOakland CA, USA

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

Hi Joey,

Thank you for the feedback about the forum sign up.  I will pass it on.

I made some significant progress on the VERY intrusive issue you are having with P4Connect, we now cache the last good connection, so there is less noise with a re-connect.

Please try the latest release of P4Connect 2016.1.137.5274

You can get it from the Perforce ftp site here:   ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r16.1/bin.multiarch/p4Connect.unitypackage

Please remove the older P4Connect assets before installing.

If you run into problems, please email support@perforce.com with "P4Connect" in the Subject line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users