• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jdcanon

jdcanon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:16 PM

The short version of my question: how do I create a review based on the delta between two branches, but without having to create a pending change list?

Here's a little more background.

We're using topic-specific branches. These topics could be as small as a small bug fix, or as large as a feature implementation. We're using task streams to capture this work. These task streams can have multiple check ins before requiring integration into their parent stream.

When it comes time for a Swarm review, we first bring the task stream up to date with respect to the parent stream (merge from parent to task stream), then integrate the work (copy + resolve) from task to parent, but don't submit the change. This pending change is then submitted to Swarm for review.

The problem we have is if the review requires additional code changes, we have to make those changes back on the task stream, re-integrate to the parent stream, and then update the pending change list containing the existing review. It would be great if this process could be simpler.

I've seen other review tools that allow the creation of reviews based on the delta of two branches (I think Atlassian's Crucible is one of them).

I'd like to know if there is a way in Swarm to create a review based on two streams. (ie, delta two streams in a continuous fashion.) Thus, in our example, the review would be between the parent stream and the task stream. If the review comments required additional code changes, the task branch would be updated (just the task stream, no re-integration required, no updating of the review's pending change list). At this point, Swarm could automatically see the new change list and update the review appropriately.

Does this functionality exist currently within Swarm? If not, can this question be turned into a feature suggestion?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swarm, diff, branch-diff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users