• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Grimwolf

Grimwolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

I've just started using Perforce, and I'm having difficulty setting up my server.
I have the server and client software installed, and everything seems fine inside of P4V.

But I need to run the command line in order to change the Typemap, and none of the P4 commands work. I'm using Windows 10, and trying to run them through cmd (I'm only assuming this is correct, because I've found zero information anywhere on where/how to actually do this). When I try to run them, I get the message "'p4' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
Even launching the command line directly through P4V results in this.
I've made sure that P4 is installed. At one point I even tried installing it independently.
I've also checked processes, and Perforce is definitely running.

#2 Tubah

Tubah

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:38 PM

Add p4.exe to your path?

The default in earlier windows is under Program Files, eg c:\Program Files\Perforce\

DId you even install p4?  Can grab the "Helix P4: Command-Line" from https://www.perforce...s/helix#clients

#3 Grimwolf

Grimwolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

What do you mean by adding P4.exe to my path?
And as I said in my original post, I definitely installed P4. It was included in the basic server package, but I also tried installing it independently when I saw that it wasn't working.

#4 Br.Bill

Br.Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

If the directory containing P4.exe isn't in your path, running p4 commands will fail.

Run this on the command line:

where p4.exe

If it doesn't show you the true path to p4.exe, then it's not in your path and you need to update your environment variables to include it.

#5 Grimwolf

Grimwolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:32 AM

View PostBr.Bill, on 05 May 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

If the directory containing P4.exe isn't in your path, running p4 commands will fail.

Run this on the command line:

where p4.exe

If it doesn't show you the true path to p4.exe, then it's not in your path and you need to update your environment variables to include it.
...Nevermind. There's a lot of technical jargon flying around that I have no clue about. I'm getting the impression that I'm not Perforce's target demographic, so I'll just find a different solution.

#6 tkosinski

tkosinski

Advanced Member

• Sandbox Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

View PostGrimwolf, on 06 May 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

...Nevermind. There's a lot of technical jargon flying around that I have no clue about. I'm getting the impression that I'm not Perforce's target demographic, so I'll just find a different solution.

Oh, gee, sorry to hear you say that. Just for fun, try this. In P4V, right-click on any file in the depot. Choose "Open Command Window Here". If it does that successfully, try typing in "p4 info" and hit Enter. See if it still bails on you. If it doesn't work, I'd strongly encourage you to contact Support. They are nice folks, and they will help you figure out what is going on.

#7 Br.Bill

Br.Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostGrimwolf, on 06 May 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

I also am sorry to hear this. This is not high tech talk here. Search paths are an important part of any command line system. If you think some other source control system is going to be easier to configure, I daresay you will be disappointed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4, Commands, Command Line, cmd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users