• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AlanF

AlanF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:17 PM

In P4Merge, the "Previous diff" and "Next diff" arrows in the toolbar are always active, even when you're at the first diff (in which case the "Previous diff" arrow should be disabled) or the last diff (in which case the "Next diff" arrow should be disabled). This is annoying because there's no way to tell whether you've reached the first or last diff other than by trying to go backwards or forwards and seeing whether anything happens. By contrast, a grayed-out arrow would tell you that you've already reached the beginning or end.

I have a screenshot, but unfortunately, when I click on "Choose files...", I see "Waiting for forums.perforce.com..." in my browser, but nothing happens. Perhaps I will be able to post it later. In any case, in the screenshot, the bar below the toolbar says "1 diffs" (side note: it should say "1 diff") but the "Previous diff" and "Next diff" arrows are both active. One or the other should be inactive, like the "Previous conflict" and "Next conflict" arrows are.

#2 AlanF

AlanF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

I realized that it's just the case where there's exactly one diff that no deactivation of the "Previous diff" and "Next diff" arrows occurs. For instance, if there are two diffs, the "Previous diff" arrow is disabled when you're at the first diff, the "Next diff" arrow is disabled when you're at the last diff, and both arrows are active at other times.

Perhaps someone figured that when there's one diff, it makes sense to define both "Previous diff" and "Next diff" as pointing to that one diff. Thus, both arrows are enabled, but neither of them does anything. I would have preferred a different approach: turn off both the "Previous diff" and "Next diff" arrows. But I can see arguments for setting it up the way it is. In any case, now that I've figured out what's going on, I'll just remember to look at the number of diffs as well as the arrows, and remember that if there's only one diff, the arrows will not do anything, even though they're not grayed out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: p4merge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users