• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ungalyant

ungalyant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hi there guys, I've been struggling with this issue for a few days trying to use existing posts and solutions to fix it, but none seem to have worked.

Any time we try to log on to the server through the P4V client, we get "The filesystem 'P4LOG' has only XM free, but the server configuration requires at least YMavailable."

To step through what I'm doing in an attempt to fix it:

Opening workspace local location on my client PC and opening windows command line from that location

Running any old perforce command, "p4 configure show filesys.P4LOG.min" for example  or "p4 logrotate", rather than any message I might be expecting, I'm getting the same error repeatedly "The filesystem 'P4LOG' has only X free but the server configuration requires at least Ym available."

I know this is an issue others have had before, and like I've said I've tried the suggested fixes, but I'm unable to perform them as I just get this message.

Our server is being hosted through digital ocean, on UBUNTU 16.04.1  x64, we're communicating to it through puTTy. Though I'm not familiar with Perforce (so this may not be the version numbers you're interested in), running the "p4d -V" command shows we're on Rev. P4D/LINUX26XB6_64/2015.1/1415928 (2016/07/25) and "p4 -V" on client shows we're on Rev. P4/NTX64/2014.2/978861 (2014/12/19).

I've tried running the p4d -jc command on the server, which seems to work correctly, telling me it's created a checkpoint and rotated the journal, but the same issue persists despite the fact that my understanding is that the logs should have rotated. As far as I can tell I've exhausted the various solutions and am stuck, does anyone have any possible answers?

#2 ungalyant

ungalyant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:29 PM

Had 2 posts, because I wasn't sure the first had come through, so this was a re-write/duplicate, issue is outlined in post above

#3 P4Sam

P4Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

When you run "p4d -jc" on the server, are you putting the rotated journal/log and checkpoint on a backup drive (either specifying the backup location as an argument to "p4d -jc" or moving it after the fact), or is it all that stuff still in the P4ROOT directory?

#4 ungalyant

ungalyant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

Apologies for the delayed response, for some reason I've not received notifications through my email about your response to this thread. I'm not providing any additional arguments, I don't believe I have access to an additional drive on the server we're using (I didn't purchase or set it up so I'm not really sure what's available) so I assume it's still in the root directory. Would the initial issue of not being able to change the log size be fixed by being able to rotate the logs in this manner?

#5 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

If the server root directory is out of disk space (as it sounds like it might be), doing much of anything is going to be difficult.  Once you clear out some space (by getting those old backups and moving them out of the root directory and into wherever your backups are supposed to go) then the commands you were trying to run should work.

#6 ungalyant

ungalyant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

So, if I were to try and simply clear out my backups, (I've been looking through the backup and recovery documentation but I don't really understand) what would I need to do to actually download a snapshot of my server, as in metadata AND actual files, and how would I then clear out all the old backups? The backup and recovery page seems only to talk about the metadata, it also seems to only be talking about making the journal and checkpoint files, not downloading them from your server. It seems I don't have access to the standard p4 commands because it's a server, so I can only run p4d commands.

#7 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

The metadata backups are files of the form "checkpoint.NN" and "journal.NN", or possibly "something.ckp.NN" and "something.jnl.NN", depending on what command you used to checkpoint.  The running journal "journal" is NOT part of your backups and should be left where it is; it gets rotated as part of the backup process.

These are just ordinary files on your filesystem and you can use ordinary filesystem commands to operate on them -- maybe you have ftp access, or shell access?  There isn't a special p4 command to move them around; you can tell p4d where to place them when they're generated by providing an option to the checkpoint command (e.g. if you have a backup drive mounted you could just create them there directly), but otherwise it's up to you to decide where you're going to keep them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4LOG, server, putty, minsize

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users