• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Claxon

Claxon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:06 AM

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of help with using the DVCS commands.

I used to have a number of projects all stored in an SVN repository, and recently converted it all to a p4 depot on my local machine (for evaluation purposes). Now I have decided the make the switch permanent, so would like to clone the depot on my webserver so I have remote access at all times without having to keep my home machine online. I've been trying to do this with "p4 clone", but can't seem to figure out how to clone the entire depot. I know the knowledge-base says that it is possible to clone the entire depot, or just part of it, but the only examples I can find are how to do a partial clone.

I've tried modifying the example commands to something like this:

p4 clone -p mylocalmachine.co.uk:1666 -f //depot/...

But that just returns the message "Filepath '//depot/...' is too wide open". If I chose a directory below //depot it seems to work ok, but of course only gets part of what I want. Can anyone help me with the right commands / approach?

Thanks!

#2 CarolineB

CarolineB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

Well, as for me, first & foremost, I'd use 'p4 clone -p xx -m1 -f //my/path/...', so as to get the HEAD for what I need, and not MB/GB/Tb of useless data :)

Then, What is the approximate number of files in //depot/...? What are the constraints you have for the user you use for cloning, regarding MaxScanRows/Maxresults on mylocalmahcine.co.uk:1666?

#3 P4Lester

P4Lester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:15 AM

I had the same problem and worked around it by setting up a remote in an empty dvcs server. For example:
p4 -d p4tmp init
p4 remote src
p4 remote dst
p4 fetch -r src
p4 push -r dst
You can use //... //... in src remote and whatever mapping you want in dst.

May Perforce be with you...

I work for Perforce.
Workshop | Twitter | LinkedIn | about.me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: helix, clone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users