• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jennievh

jennievh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

Sometimes, when I've shelved a number of files in Perforce, I get the following message when I try to unshelve them:
"unable to unshelve the following file(s)" [list of one or more files] "(file already checked out in this workspace)"

I don't know what Perforce wants. The only way I've been able to resolve this is by moving all of the files to a new changelist and deleting the old one. It's absolutely maddening. It's a horrible workaround.

What can I do to resolve this? Better yet, what can I do to avoid the situation entirely?

Perforce visual tool for MacOS: Rev. Perforce Visual Client/MACOSX107X86_64/2015.2/1312139
Running Yosemite OSX 10.10.5 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:20 PM

What the error message is telling you on its surface is simply that the file is already checked out -- so the straightforward solution would be to revert the file (possibly after shelving or submitting your local version -- obviously reverting will discard your local changes).  

Any time the problem is "this file is open", the solution is either "submit" or "revert", since those are the two ways to make an open file not be open any more.

Going a little deeper, I'd be curious what version of the server you're using.  Since release 2013.2 or thereabouts, the server will permit you to unshelve over a file that's already open (and will schedule a resolve between the shelved changes and your local changes) in most cases.  So if you're on an old server, the real fix is to upgrade.

#3 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:23 PM

I believe it's trying to tell you that you've shelved a file, then edited the opened file in the same changelist, and it's warning you that it doesn't want to overwrite your local changes. Though when I do this I get a slightly different error message that gives me a button to resolve/merge the shelved file into my checked out version.
-Matt Janulewicz
Currently unemployed, looking for work in Boise, ID!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unshelve, changelist, p4v

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users