• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AllanA

AllanA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:35 AM

I'm a novice to P4 Helix admin and have two situations that are throwing me curves.

1. I have a user who manually deleted content from the P4 server. Unfortunately there is now a job he submitted to remove those same files that keeps showing up to tell us that they are no longer there to be removed.

2. A remote user deleted his workplace and created a new one. Unfortunately it seems that when he deleted his old profile it sough to delete all the content in our animations depot. Now there are bunch of file showing up as checked out and marked for deletion to that removed profile. Is there a way for an admin account to remove any hold that non-existent user has  on these files?

With both of these I'm not sure how to approach them to sort them out.

Any help, links to step-by-step how-to's, would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostAllanA, on 24 December 2016 - 04:35 AM, said:

1. I have a user who manually deleted content from the P4 server. Unfortunately there is now a job he submitted to remove those same files that keeps showing up to tell us that they are no longer there to be removed.

I'm going to assume that when you say "manually deleted" you mean the user got access to the depot filesystem (which is bad; end users shouldn't have direct access to the server's files) and deleted the files from there rather than using "p4 delete" or "p4 obliterate".  

I'm having a hard time guessing what you're talking about with a "job to remove those files" (is this a cronjob, or a Perforce job, and when you say "submit" are you talking about a changelist, and what is it exactly that's "showing up" to tell you about the files being gone and where and what is the exact wording...) but if my first guess was correct, the best solution is usually to either restore the file content from backup or "obliterate" them to permanently and completely remove them from the depot (i.e. remove the metadata so that the metadata and content are consistent with each other).

2. A remote user deleted his workplace and created a new one. Unfortunately it seems that when he deleted his old profile it sough to delete all the content in our animations depot. Now there are bunch of file showing up as checked out and marked for deletion to that removed profile. Is there a way for an admin account to remove any hold that non-existent user has  on these files?

The user did not actually delete his client workspace from the server if the files are still showing up as checked out -- you can delete the client with "p4 client -df CLIENTNAME".  That will also effectively revert all files opened by that client.

#3 AllanA

AllanA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

Hello and thank you for your reply

Situation 1. There are only two people who have physical access to the server where P4 is running. As it was explained to me, he deleted content on his system in windows and then attempted to deleted the removed files via P4. Being gone already there was nothing to delete. But now, and for some time apparently, when attempting to upload there is a P4 job to delete the already deleted files. I'm told this has been ignored (bypassed by manually closing the P4 job window) for at least few weeks.

Situation 2. Where are these commands to be run? I tried "P4 client -d CLIENTNAME" on the server itself but it said (paraphrasing) client not found.

Thanks again for your help and continued help in these matters.

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

View PostAllanA, on 24 December 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

Situation 1. There are only two people who have physical access to the server where P4 is running. As it was explained to me, he deleted content on his system in windows and then attempted to deleted the removed files via P4. Being gone already there was nothing to delete. But now, and for some time apparently, when attempting to upload there is a P4 job to delete the already deleted files. I'm told this has been ignored (bypassed by manually closing the P4 job window) for at least few weeks.'

When you say "his system" do you mean a client machine rather than the server machine?  If so that's much easier to fix, but you originally said "server" and the distinction between the two is pretty important.  :)

If you could post a screenshot of this "job window" that'd be helpful -- I'm still not sure if we're talking about an actual Perforce "job" or if the user is talking about an outstanding sync, or the files being open (but not submittable), etc.  If we are talking about an actual job, just delete the job, or remove it from the changelist and mark it "closed", or whatever is appropriate to your jobs workflow.

Situation 2. Where are these commands to be run? I tried "P4 client -d CLIENTNAME" on the server itself but it said (paraphrasing) client not found.

As long as your client app is connected to the server, it doesn't matter which client machine (the server machine itself can also be a client machine) you run commands from.  Start by running "p4 info" to make sure you're talking to the right server; if you're not, run "p4 set P4PORT=server:port" to fix it.  Think of this as being like entering a URL into a browser -- you need to tell your client (the browser) what server (website) you want to use.  As long as you're connecting to the right website, you'll get the same content no matter what browser you use or where it is.

The "client not found" probably just means the client name was incorrect.  Run "p4 opened -a //depot/path/filename" to see which client(s) have the file opened; the command output will say "opened by USER@CLIENT".  The CLIENT will be the old (supposedly deleted) client workspace; just run "p4 client -df CLIENT" to actually delete it.

#5 AllanA

AllanA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

Hello
Thank you for your assistance. I didn't intentionally leave this straggling but its Christmas here and family had to come first.

Situation 2 has been resolved. Thank you. My mistake was in not having a valid session when I attempted the deletion that first time.

I'm going to see about collecting a screenshot of Situation 1 when it arises again.

Thank you again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4, administration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users